AGB AGM

Kerf

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Seems AGB don’t know how to run their own election! Bit embarrassing.
According to the renewed voting instructions we can now vote for four candidates. There are four vacancies.
So unless there is a minimum number of votes or percentage of votes limit which has to be passed, and presuming each candidate will get at least one vote then they’ll all get in.
Bit like the Russian elections 😳

mk1

It's an X
Supporter
I don't understand what is embarassing about it - last year there were three candidates for one post and this year there are four for four. All you have to do is decide form their resume's whether you think they are capable of doing a good job for you as they represent you on the board. Only 1104 votes were cast last year. membership nunmbers were 38K and even if 50% were under 18 - that's still a low number of people voting.

MartinGascoigne

Can’t get too excited about there being 4 candidates for 4 positions.
Failed to see in the personal statements on the website what the existing ones had actually achieved for members or clubs this year or any year for that matter.
Not unlike the non elected directors in that regard but really nowhere near good enough to get my vote.

mk1

It's an X
Supporter
Can’t get too excited about there being 4 candidates for 4 positions.
Failed to see in the personal statements on the website what the existing ones had actually achieved for members or clubs this year or any year for that matter.
Not unlike the non elected directors in that regard but really nowhere near good enough to get my vote.
That's your preogative.
The non-elected directors are chosen to carry out specific governance tasks like making sure the accounts are dealt with in a fit and proper fashion, risks mitigated against etc - so it's rather dull and boring to many and somewhat "behind the scenes" - they tend to be lawyers and accountants/finance people or board experienced etc but are entirely necessary. The problem with a lot of the member elected candidates is that they often haven't got experience of governance but as long as they understand the sport and ask relevant questions to the board and are capable of serving on the statutory committees they're doing the job.

MartinGascoigne

That's your preogative.
The non-elected directors are chosen to carry out specific governance tasks like making sure the accounts are dealt with in a fit and proper fashion, risks mitigated against etc - so it's rather dull and boring to many and somewhat "behind the scenes" - they tend to be lawyers and accountants/finance people or board experienced etc but are entirely necessary. The problem with a lot of the member elected candidates is that they often haven't got experience of governance but as long as they understand the sport and ask relevant questions to the board and are capable of serving on the statutory committees they're doing the job.
[/QUOTE

Wow, almost tempted to get back in my box but hey, it's a lovely day. :)

I wonder if we're talking about the same thing here. I wasn't aware of "problems" with Elected Directors and would not agree that their role could be descibed simplistically reduced to asking questions to the board or attending committee meetings. Anyway, what happens at board level is not open or transparent as there are no available minutes after September 2019.

To my knowldge the role of Elected Directors is fulfilled by them :
  • Providing entrepreneurial leadership for Archery GB within a framework of prudent and effective controls which enable risk to be assessed and managed
  • Setting Archery GB’s strategic aims, ensuring that the necessary financial and other resources are in place to meet its objectives,
  • Reviewing management performance
  • Setting Archery GB’s values and standards and ensuring that its obligations to its stakeholders are understood and met
So to get back to my reply I was looking to see how the existing Elected Directors had performed against the above.
Well I can't, can I? (More than happy if you can provide me with it or point me to where I can see it.)

So, as you so nicely put it, I exercised my "prerogative."

mk1

It's an X
Supporter
Oh dear - I'm being "teachy" - just my way :p It's very dreich up here today.

I did raise the non publication of the minutes this time last year - time to give it another go!

I'm not sure the word "problem" is the right one or that it is even a problem as people can be brought up to speed - I certainly didn't know what to expect. I've served on the board - pre and post governance changes - and there are a lot of papers to read and a lot of questions to ask and I spent a lot of time on a committee or two.