International limb fitting ??

jerryRTD

Not so sure about loose limb pockets loosing points. I have no limb pockets at all on my Revolution.

nairepooc

International Limb fit

Yet another story of bad fitting limbs;
I have a sf pro carbon riser (buy the best you can afford) and winstorm limbs.
The bottom limb when strung rocks from left to right.
So took the bow apart.
D slots in limbs top 9.5mm, bottom 9.75mm.
Location pins in the riser 9.4mm top & bottom.
When I phoned the supplier they told me this was acceptable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So how do you adjust the string centre?
Everything you build the bow it sounds like!

What are the standards if any?:rottentom

Huffy

So took the bow apart.
When I phoned the supplier they told me this was acceptable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So how do you adjust the string centre?
Everything you build the bow it sounds like!

What are the standards if any?:rottentom
There are no standards, the fitting is a copy of Hoyts bow fitting with each manufactor making their own version and I guess allowing a little extra clearance so their bows/limbs fit every one elses :vomit:

Best wishes, Mark

MATTeL

Heck forget variations between manufacturers, I have seen variations in the limbs from the same company. The cut away section at the end of the limb was a different size meaning one set would fit on a bow without issue but another set wouldn't.

darthTer

Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
So took the bow apart.
Lets be realistic here...you have bought a riser from the higher end of the scale, and limbs from the bottom end.

The winstorm limbs are priced at their current level for a reason...think about it. Plus were talking 1/4mm difference - how tight do you expect the tollerance to be??? and how much of a difference will it make???

It would be interesting to check the same measurements on some of the top limbs available - maybe Border could comment???

nairepooc

As a begineer on a fairly tight budget I put my cash into the riser. From suppliers that I have spoken with they tell me that it would not matter the price of the limb because the standard is not inforced.
Why does it matter!
Well from what I have been shown, read and watched a 0.3mm play in the limb will be magnified x10 on then end of the limb.Making 3mm movement now if your happy with 3mm of play then fine, but I am not!
When setting up the bow and setting the string through the true centre, how can this be achieved if the bottom limb end can move 3mm!
That means setting the bow up every time you come to use it. But what happens after the shot! The string would move again.
If I have to buy more expensive limbs then I will, but..............Where would it end.
Custom made limbs maybe?

BorderBows

The idea is that when the bow is strung, the two compenents sit in the radii of each other at both locations, this means that the pressure of the strung bow will keep everything seated. The problem is there are no standards, so there is no benchmark on how far wrong any one item can be.

Ive never understood the reason on getting a expensive riser and cheap limbs..
For example its the limbs that punt the arrow, and our limbs on a cheap riser will out perform a expensive riser with cheap limbs. (and its performance your after)
The next question is... how long will it take you to build up to a skill and muscle tone that warrants a full expensive bow... and when you get there, you will probably want the latest colours and latest geometry.

Thats off topic anyhow...
What part has the difference in it... is it the limb or the riser?
And do you get this slop when the bow is strung?

nairepooc

That is my main concern. When the bow is strung, you can move the bottom limb from side to side!!!
That has got to be wrong?
So that is going to put the tip of the limb out, I think?
By my estimation I have 0.3mm clearance between the D cut out on the limb and the diameter of the location pin in the riser. So that give 3mm of limb tip movement with the bow strung!
I am returning to the supplier on Friday as he says this is not possible?
I know it is.
I want to try other limbs in the riser both the same make and more expensive.
I will buy the SF Foam Carbon limbs if I have to.

JohnK

The argument for novice archers starting with a decent riser and cheap limbs is pretty solid.

Firstly, it means they can start out with a low draw weight and work upwards using cheap limbs until they achieve their desire poundage, keeping their costs relatively low as they go. When they hit target weight, they can treat themselves to a good set of limbs without having to worry about upgrading their riser too.

Secondly, it can satisfy the New Toy urge without wasting money on unsuitable kit :)

Back on topic: While there is no published standard, you certainly have a right to expect the riser and limbs to fit together. After all, you bought them together. Talk of "acceptable tolerances" is nonsense. If the limb moves when the bow is strung, you have a right to swap them.

BorderBows

im playing catch up here, so forgive me asking a few dumb questions...

Is the limb adjustment feature moving, or the limb in the adjustment moving... for example, are the locking screws holding the bolt or dovetail down tight.
(im not sure if this riser has its lateral adjustment on the bolt or a movable dovetail/limb pocket)

inkystu

Nairepooc..... I see you are in the west midlands. What Club are you with? I'm impressed that a 'novice' has spotted this limb shift. Did you know 1mm at limb tips can move the arrow 4" at 20 meters?

If you are in Meriden, track me down and I'll have a look for you.

Stuart

Old Bloke

..and to think..for the last 10 years (or is it 25) everyone has said I've been talking cr*p. Thanks for saying that Inky..and I hope you can help this poor fellow out..but we both know how difficult that is going to be. (oh..and I would suggest 6" at 20mts!)

nairepooc

I used some Beiter limb gauges last night and setting the string through the centre of the gauges and the bow. I then moved the bottom limb and the string moved outside the bottom limb gauge! That tells me that there is something wrong!
I did not know the spread at those distances!
I am in Great barr by the way.
I also used the Beiter limb tip gauges and on draw and then release (not dry fire) but letting the string back down the string moved on the bottom limb every time.

Thats for all the comments and info guys, as a newbie I have read books and watched DVD's (Simon Needham) and as an engineer of 30 years know about tolerances and lmits and fit. Just knew something was wrong.
I will let you know how I get on tomorrow at the supplier!
If no joy I will be driving to see you Inkystu.

Regards,
Ian

inkystu

..as you said before OB. If it takes 2 dozen for limbs to settle, they can un-settle as well. I've plotted limb shift throughout a whole tournament!
A strung bow does not guarantee the limbs are in the right position, even after a few shots. try checking your centershot before you shoot, then at 3 dozen intervals. You'll wonder why you bothered tuning your bow on some days.

How many people slot their limbs in easily at the start of the day, then struggle to get them out at the end....or vice-versa???

ILF.....Irritating Limb Failure.

rant over

Old Bloke

Ian..as you are an engineer you will scratch your head in wonderment at the modern day bows...you really will! W.I.S anyone? (Windy Indoor Syndrome)

BorderBows

We working my behind off on this exact problem...

We are working on an Non ILF riser which Has ILF compatable with a shoe.

Our 17" design has been posted, but taking on a project this size doesnt come without delays. we are going to work on the 17" and 25" to start with. then fill in the riser sizes. Someone coined the term BGB (bloody Great Bolt) is bulletproof!
The other one is, if you can hold 40lbs on your fingers for a whole day, why would you want to detune your bow to 38lbs so your arrows tune... why not tune arrows to 40lbs and have the extra 4fps on your side (assuming 1lbs is 2fps)
Thats my wee rant on adjustable lbs risers....

nairepooc

I can see this is somewhat of a very hot topic and debating point.
I just wanted to buy a decent bow setup and shoot some arrows. Now I know that my form as a novice will not be good yet and most will wonder why I am bitching at the movement of my limbs.
BUT
As far as I can see the longer the limbs are used the looser (bad English) the limbs will be the more spread the arrows will get.
I will improve my form, but the shooting will get worse, therefore driving me to total insanity.
i thought you were surposed to clear your mind while shooting. Mine will be full of "What if's".
Spending over ?500 I would of thought would ensure me some sort of consintancy?

Murray

Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
I am getting very frustrated with moving groups. I don't know WHEN they're going to move, but I know they will.

I've not excluded the fact that it may be me, but when you're hapilly filling an 8cm gold at 18m then suddenly you're in the 7/8 ring (sometimes it moves slightly over 2 or 3 ends, other times it's just there), it's very frustrating.

This problem saw me shooting well at the European invitational at stoke last year then get soundly thrashed in the H2Hs by a guy I should have easily taken out - of course, in a H2H there is little or no recovery time. I've learned to move my sight more quickly, but it's still throwing away points.

It doesn't seem to matter which of my two risers or sets of limbs I use (I chose my backup bow for H2Hs in Stoke...)

As I said, could be me, but I'm now seriously looking for ways to remove the limb/riser variable!

Harrison Ooi

I am getting very frustrated with moving groups. I don't know WHEN they're going to move, but I know they will.

I've not excluded the fact that it may be me, but when you're hapilly filling an 8cm gold at 18m then suddenly you're in the 7/8 ring (sometimes it moves slightly over 2 or 3 ends, other times it's just there), it's very frustrating.

This problem saw me shooting well at the European invitational at stoke last year then get soundly thrashed in the H2Hs by a guy I should have easily taken out - of course, in a H2H there is little or no recovery time. I've learned to move my sight more quickly, but it's still throwing away points.

It doesn't seem to matter which of my two risers or sets of limbs I use (I chose my backup bow for H2Hs in Stoke...)

As I said, could be me, but I'm now seriously looking for ways to remove the limb/riser variable!
The answer might start with a H or a B......:yummy:

Harrison Ooi

We working my behind off on this exact problem...

We are working on an Non ILF riser which Has ILF compatable with a shoe.

Our 17" design has been posted, but taking on a project this size doesnt come without delays. we are going to work on the 17" and 25" to start with. then fill in the riser sizes. Someone coined the term BGB (bloody Great Bolt) is bulletproof!
The other one is, if you can hold 40lbs on your fingers for a whole day, why would you want to detune your bow to 38lbs so your arrows tune... why not tune arrows to 40lbs and have the extra 4fps on your side (assuming 1lbs is 2fps)
Thats my wee rant on adjustable lbs risers....
Err....Sid, how to you tune arrows?:worried: