MB Archer Training Plan

bkupris

Supporter
Supporter
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
Thanks Andrew :)

That's one of the things I am looking at. For those that are on a structured training plan i.e. November-September to prepare for and compete in the summer, are they concentrating on fitness and shooting in different percentages throughout the cycle? Maybe some are not interested in the fitness aspect much? The training plans I have looked at all address this issue of phasing. Just wondering what's really happening on the ground?

bkupris

Supporter
Supporter
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
Slowhand

I agree totally. This is not for my personal shooting. I am researching for info I can implement when I am coaching archers that are seriously trying to improve to Bowman, possibly MB level :)

A

ASW1973

articles on practice and control in this months bow magazine may be of interest to you

pwiles1968

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
I have only been shooting for 2 years all of which are with compound, making MB early last year, with a little extra work I am hoping to retain MB this year, Due to having a young family I can not shoot nearly as much as I would like, in winter due to venues I am limited to shooting twice a week plus about 1 comp a month, during the rest of the year I try and shoot 2-3 times a week (Wed Evening, Friday Afternoon, Sat Afternoon), and last year did 1 to 2 competitions (Fitas and Yorks) a month, I don?t have time to work in the Gym but am fairly lucky, although I am short I am fairly well strong due to a wasted youth body building (not that you can tell now). Diet also poor meat Grain Alcohol. I managed a Few hours of coaching with Tony at a shop which has helped iron out a few small issues.

So While I admit my performance could be improved with some extra exercise, I feel time spent shooting to get shot consistency is possibly the most important aspect to my performance, I am looking at splashing out on a Target and net for the garage in order to be able to get more shooting time in.

Due to having a young family I can not shoot nearly as much as I would like
One of my reasons for suggesting walking and swimming as supplementary exercising is that this can normally involve the rest of the family, so you get the benefits of at least some additional exercise, especially when the weather is bad.

Going for a walk with a baby in a buggy, or giving a young child a piggy-back when they get tired will certainly give you a good core workout, and improve CV fitness. Loads of stuff can be done in the pool that doesn't just have to be lengths, especially if you are lucky enough to live near a wave pool. Plus taking the rest of the family out on these treats means they are less likely to moan when you are out shooting 'yet again'.

These non-structured exercises are nearly as good, and some would argue better, for getting overall mental and physical well-being into decent shape. Less stress as you have taking the family \ other half out for quality time together. Improved overall generall fitness, so you can then spend concentrated efforts on archery specific stuff.

bkupris

Supporter
Supporter
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
Yeah fitness must have a role to play in the bigger picture, especially when we loose our youth :( Seems though that some do not take much notice of it and still manage MB or am I wrong?

Yorker

Yeah fitness must have a role to play in the bigger picture, especially when we loose our youth :( Seems though that some do not take much notice of it and still manage MB or am I wrong?
Yep.
Basically fitness won't increase your ability in archery necessarily, but it will certainly increase your body's potential and therefore what you could achieve in archery.

I admit that there are a fair few in the world cup who shot really well and got lots of metalwork for it who certainly weren't in the best of physical condition - interestingly they were compound archers.

However, I don't think it was coincidence that essentially none of the top competitive archers were collosal in terms of girth. There is a limit to how much physically your body can take when most of it is unfit.

Korean kids when they start run to the targets and back and do circuits between ends hehe.

bkupris

Supporter
Supporter
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
There is a term bandied about called being "archery fit". My assumption is that if somebody can physically shoot their first shot as good as their last then they have cracked it no matter what bow they are shooting.

My understanding is that it's about identifying an archers strengths and areas needing improvement may it be strength, technique, the mental side of things etc. FWICT these training plans include time spent in all these areas but are modified to address areas of most need. Then they also have an element of loading up the fitness training in the early months (if required) before the outdoor competition season starts. Am I making any sense?

moo-mop

Whilst I was looking for training schedules, both for coaching and participants, I happened to come across a large Excel file produced by FITA and aimed at two specific international events, both of which were back in 2003.
What is there now is only a tiny tiny fraction of this plan - one excel spreadsheet and one PDF. This was split up into about 20-40 or so weekly plans of several pages each and was incredibly useful stuff full of exercises, some of course better than others. Even if you couldn't get anywhere near the speed of shooting that was recommended at an average practice session.

I have copies if anyone wants them pm me - it's a very large file.

Erika

This is a serious question regarding training plans. I am trying to get a handle on the level of commitment in time spent shooting/exercising/mental preparation etc in order to reach MB. For those of you that may have achieved this recently or are maintaining it what was your commitment (training plan) for a 12 month period from November to September?

Thanks

Brian
In all honesty, cross training and dieting and mental game etc are all great things to incorporate.... but the achievement of MB requires nothing more than adequate basic technique and shooting arrows. If you don't achieve MB shooting your current amount, spending time on all of those other activities is probably taking away from much needed practice.

Adam

If I'm shooting a tournament, I'll make sure that on the week before it, I shoot each distance to check my sight marks are right and have not changed. I will never ever use anything in a tournament that I haven't used and tested at least once before in practice, this includes fletchings, clothing and footware. Never make any chages to the bow's set up before a tournament. A couple of days before the shoot I will thoroughly check the bow (and stabilisation, sight, string etc.), making sure that everything is ok (are all of the bolts tight). I will also clean and examine each arrow carefully, replacing any suspect nocks or fletchings
And then put the limbs on upside down, right?:muted:

Adam

bkupris

Supporter
Supporter
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
Wow! There is a serious amount of information to digest in that Fita training plan. Thanks moo-mop :)

grahamc

I am in the same position you are.

Started archery in middle of 2006 - begineers course, achieved 1st class by the end of 2006.

Had a terrible year last year, because of work and weather, etc (excuses), but still got to my bowman level. Once achieved bowman, I decided I wanted to achieve MB in 2008.

So since then I have been preparing. During the winter I am only really able to shoot on Sundays, so not much.

Currently I walk home from work, 5.5 miles in 1.5 hours. Weight training when I get home, 1 muscle group per day for 5 days a week. Controlled diet, etc.

As soon as I am able to shoot, I willbe cycling to my field 5 miles, 35 - 45 minutes. Then shooting the rest of the time.

My shooting training will be:

3 targets (I struggle a little with the changes in distance at comps):
100 yards - 4 ACEs, 4, Navs - all arrow positions recorded
80 yards - 4 ACEs, 4 Navs - all arrow positions recorded
60 yards - 3 ACEs, Navs - all arrow positions recorded

1 target:
10 yards - 10 fatboys - focus on different sctions of technique

My kit will remain the same for the entire summer season (hopefully), all setup during the winter/indoor season.

moo-mop

To the person that pm'd me over the weekend wanting copies of the files I've offered: I've lost your details in the forum restore please contact me again!

fanio

hi

Ben e71's post on another thread made me do a search for tournament preparation, and I came across this ancient thread. There are some interesting posts about physical preparation.

Does anyone still have the more detailed files from FITA that moo-mop referred to? I would love to get a copy!

Cheers

Mufti

My 2d worth as a hopeful MB this year . . .

The turning point for me in becoming Bowman and beyod was working with a shooting partner talking and trying out different subtle ways of shooting.
Once I found something that improved my score I stuck to it and used it as a rung on a ladder. Eventually I had changed just about every aspect of my form - all within coaching/safety guidelines, but as many will know there are 100 and 1 miniscule changes that will improve or detract from your perfect shot.
Once perfected get out and practice, initially in competition to prove it works under pressure and then by at least 2 productive sessions per week - not the ones where you do a lot of talking and coffee drinking!
This in itself will produce a the muscle fitness required.

So my thoughts; learn what works for you, prove it works under pressure and practice, practice, practice.

Sometimes it's too easy to attribute poor shooting to diet, fitness and not see a shooting form that needs working on.
My mind says get the technique right first, work on the rest later.

surfer steve

Hello mufti
I totally agree with everything you mentioned
I too am working on technique first
And practising like mad I've also changed my form from last season
Now and again it has even worked
I have found that I need to switch off thinking about the score outcome and also what other people are doing
I too am lucky that a new archer had re started
And he is really pushing me so it's all good
I was so close to mb last year if I don't do it this year it wiill be next
Regards
Steve