Mid priced button recommendation?

Scotsrick

AIUK Saviour
Years ago when I bought my first bow I got the set from eBay.

Yes I know its not advised but even as a newbie I recognised a Hoyt riser, Shibuya sight, solid case etc as decent stuff and I felt okay bidding for it.

About 8 years down the line and all that is left of that kit is the sight and button, everything else being replaced or upgraded, the button literally not being touched apart from adjusting for centre shot and spring pressure.

The button was unbranded but I assumed it was a decent make but the threads on the end are starting to flatten off.

Time for a replacement methinks, so on browsing online I happened to find the one I'm using.

Turns out it's the Avalon Classic, retailing nowadays for the grand sum of £5.99 :ROFLMAO:

I think it's more than outlived its price point so what do you guys recommend for a slightly more up range button?

Stretch

Shibuya shoots as well as any of the chuck-your-cash-away-here buttons. (Assuming £30 is your idea of mid priced). No clicks, no frills, just bloody good. Then you get to spend ours trying to discern if the metal tip shoots any worse than the teflon tip. (Aka shoot the metal tip unless you see wear on your arrows).

Only negative on buying Shibuya secondhand is the volume of Aliexpress knock-offs (and the rest). So go for a real one from a trusted shop.

Stretch

StevoNilo

I agree with Mr Stretch. There's nothing out there that's better value than the Shibuya DX button. For the money it's great. Its consistent and smooth. I had one on my bow for decades. It easily took me to National Comps multiple times. No problems. Don't cheap out on the button. On the cheap n cheerful stuff things can stick, gum up and fall apart. Low grade steel is used, with low tolerances. At least with Shibuya you can get spares. But my tip of the week with shibuya is use loctite on the small grub screws after setting it up. Also, one thing that effects all buttons, from cheap and cheerful right up to the bell & whistle Beiters, and that's dirt. So take them apart twice a year and make sure the inner barrels are squeaky clean. Use a Q Tipp and lighter fluid. If you've never cleaned yours then get a wiggle on. Lastly never leave buttons in the kit bag after a rainy days training. Let them dry out properly, like the rest of your kit.

Last edited:

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
I agree, Shibuya DX. Or maybe a second hand Beiter. I have bought two second hand and they are excellent. Only tricky thing about them is they come in different lengths for different riser widths. If this is a worry for you then definitely the Shibuya DX.