Need advice upgrading Olympic recurve limbs and arrows

EvadingGrid

You just have to remember that ILF is a myth. People copied the Hoyt fitting on the GM, more or less. But there has never been an ILF - no standard, no agreed set of measurements. So of course you can't guarantee that one manufacturer's limbs will fit another's handle. That so many are more or less interchangeable, is frankly, a miracle :)
Yes its a bad idea to assume that just because the ILF fittings are the right dimensions that the bow will end up right - it could go either way. I've seen hybrid bows that worked and scored top points at county matches, and I've also known bows best described as "horror stories".

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
The maths is simple enough, even on a calclator heehee.
It would not be a problem to make a chart of all the likely spans, converted into draw lengths, or put the plots on a graph. Instant drawlength.
I agree that bad draw length could be a long way from a far better one. Are you saying that knowing the calculated draw length first, would have changed the draw lengths of the archers you have seen with such bad one?

EvadingGrid

The maths is simple enough, even on a calclator heehee.
It would not be a problem to make a chart of all the likely spans, converted into draw lengths, or put the plots on a graph. Instant draw length.
I agree that bad draw length could be a long way from a far better one. Are you saying that knowing the calculated draw length first, would have changed the draw lengths of the archers you have seen with such bad one?
I do not know the answer to that . . . .

But considering the number of beginners that ignore pretty much every single thing the coach told them, the prognosis is not good. :)

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
For those who don't listen, any advice on draw length, whether it is based around a wingspan calculation, or a coach's judgement, will be wasted.
Archers with bad draw length might be the result of not listening, rather than having a coach who does not use the wingspan method.