High Poundage Pipe Bows

blakey

Trying to fit one of the giants down our club with a high poundage longbow, and I hit on the idea of pvc bows. This lad has about a 33" draw, and is built like the proverbial brick.... He wants to shoot 90 lbs or over, and I have nothing that I'd be willing to risk at his draw length. I've been experimenting with pipe bows as a very cheap option, and have been looking at Backyard Bowyer on YouTube. I've finally realised that Yank pipe is about twice the wall thickness of Oz pipe, which explains why I can't get it up! Just wondered if anyone has managed to get a warbow class pvc bow up and running, and if so what dimensions they used? Cheers

boxtriker 1

There are two sort's of pvc pipe over hear in the UK i guess you are the same there. pvc waste pipe an pvc pressure pipe the latter is the stuff you need the wall of the pipe is thicker

bolerus

there are a few places that sell the class E pipe that you need.

what I have found ( trying to make a long bow) is that you need 1 1/4 thick to get decent poundage.

On backyards bowyers 80lb longbow he says
"
Yes, this bow would work fine in smaller pipe sizes. In 1" pipe, 5 feet works well, it'll get about 30-35 pounds. 3/4" pipe at about 56" will get around 15-20 pounds or so. The 1" can be made as short as 56" and pull around 45-50 pounds. Much shorter on the 3/4" and you'll experience bad stack without using recurves.
"

I made 1 inch 60inch longbow ( was meant to be for my daughter) and it came out at ( at 28" draw) at 32.5 lbs which fits into what the backyard bowyer said

so my thought would be a 1 1/4 class E would probably give about 70lbs at 28" at 33" that would be probably over 80

I dont know if adding recurves etc increases / decreases or keeps the same pondage ( sorry im a bit of a newbie myself)

although 60 inch isnt much of a long bow for a giant, so you may have to add a few inches and try to work out the poundage loss, or maybe go for 1 and a half inch, but that would probably be too thick for most people to comfortable hold

bolerus

I know i go on and on .. but

I would be really interested in how you get on, what pipe you use, what length, what poundage it came out at. and also how you cut the pipe to make the taper at the end ( i used a dremmell and it didnt come out the best )

also if you are going to 'paint' it to look like wood, I found another guy on youtube, but he started with white pipe and started with black shoe polish

As my pipe was dark grey, I started with shoe whitener, then 3 coats of brown ( was ?1 bottle of brown liquid show wax) made it look like a dark oak colour.

using the technique from
Decorating a PVC Bow with Faux Woodgrain and Paint from Start to Finish - Pt.1 - YouTube
made it look like wood from more than a foot away.

blakey

I know i go on and on .. but

I would be really interested in how you get on, what pipe you use, what length, what poundage it came out at. and also how you cut the pipe to make the taper at the end ( i used a dremmell and it didnt come out the best )

also if you are going to 'paint' it to look like wood, I found another guy on youtube, but he started with white pipe and started with black shoe polish

As my pipe was dark grey, I started with shoe whitener, then 3 coats of brown ( was ?1 bottle of brown liquid show wax) made it look like a dark oak colour.

using the technique from
Decorating a PVC Bow with Faux Woodgrain and Paint from Start to Finish - Pt.1 - YouTube
made it look like wood from more than a foot away.
I'm still having difficulties accessing the necessary wall thickness. I've now found someone who recommends sleeving two tubes, one inside the other. I'll keep plugging away. I will keep you informed. Cheers

blakey

although 60 inch isnt much of a long bow for a giant, so you may have to add a few inches and try to work out the poundage loss, or maybe go for 1 and a half inch, but that would probably be too thick for most people to comfortable hold
I have made a light 67" pvc longbow with no recurves that draws a 32" arrow full length with no stress or stack. This is why I am so impressed. Cost $5. Ideal beginner's/club bow. Cheers

bolerus

Blakey, can I ask what pipe you are using

what poundage was the 67" bow you made, if it was class E, couldnt have been much more than 20lbs?

I have made some recurve versions. 3/4 class e pipe came out around 24 lb 1 inch came out at 30lb ( the longbow version was as i said 32.5 lb)