How short can a short short-bow be?

bearded bowyer

ITS ALIVE!!!!!!!!!
one lightning strike later and the monster I have christened 'Frankenstein' has lumbered into life. 45lbs at 26" 60 inches total. I've had enough of it now so, no more work or tillering.

frank4.jpg
So...after I had spliced in the new piece of wood it was still bending in the fades way too much so I stuck on a thin slither of ash onto each limb.
frank2.jpg
Back on the tiller there was now a huge hinge (both sides) just where the ash bridged the bubinga.
So I tried to clamp a leftover piece of lemonwood into the area, but because it was so thick it wouldnt bend, so........two thin slivers of lemonwood (still waste wood destined for the fire) conformed beautifully to the flexed area and I cascamited them into place.
frank3.jpg frank 1.jpg
I have decided not to tidy it up at all, leaving all the toolmarks, bits of wood sticking up and spilt glue on it. Its even strung with a bit of paracord.
Now wondering how to finish it.........may just spray the whole thing in black lacquer!
It really is a patch work bow. I was amazed in particular how the thin narrow lemonwood reinforcements worked so well. Not pretty but very functional.
By the way I had no end of trouble glueing the patches on. I tried good old pva, tightbond 3 but both gave out proximally to the handle. Cascamite as always did the trick nicely. Food for thought.

I'm about to start my very first yew longbow, from a tree, not a plank.........I'm a bit nervous but itching to get going.
Best to you all.

Matt

Attachments

D

Deleted member 7654

Excellent!
I like the tiller, it's this sort of thing that teaches us what sort of liberties we can take.
I bet that will become a fave' bow now.
Del

WillS

Awesome, congrats Matt! Nice perseverance.

Good luck with the yew, don't baby it, I know it's quite exciting and you don't wanna fluff it up, but don't let it stop you cracking on. Yew is very hardy ;)

I'm sitting on a lovely 120# pacific yew bow and I'm putting off the final tiller telling myself I have lots of little things to do on it yet, but really I'm just nervous as heck. Not even an hour long chat with Steve Stratton has made it any less daunting haha!

bearded bowyer

Thanks chaps
Glad I'm not the only one worried about buggering up a good piece of yew. Out of the quarter trunk I have (thanks del for helping me cut it up) I think I may get only one good bow from it. The rest Im going to use for laminate longbows ( warbows if there is enough ) or a longbow without sapwood.
We shall see.
I will post it as a first build

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks chaps
Glad I'm not the only one worried about buggering up a good piece of yew. Out of the quarter trunk I have (thanks del for helping me cut it up) I think I may get only one good bow from it. The rest Im going to use for laminate longbows ( warbows if there is enough ) or a longbow without sapwood.
We shall see.
I will post it as a first build

bearded bowyer

Ha!
shot 100 ish arrows through Frankenstein this afternoon. very nice, BUT paracord is rubbish as a string! Way to much stretch and too elastic.