How successful is trying to straighten wooden arrows?

Raedwald

An arrow that I lost on the field course a week ago has turned up, but thanks to the elements and such like, there's a marked lean to the left (so it'll never be allowed in the Labour Party then...... Sorry!!!) - the pile is probably about 5mm out of true.

Is it possible to correct this and if so, how?

(Having had the piles snap off three others on Saturday, any I can recover is a bonus!)

wingate_52

Careful use of indirect heat and inducing equal and opposite bending will probably result in a bent arrow. One it has moved it has moved But give it a try. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Macbow

Straightening and re-straightening wooden arrows is part and parcel of traditional archery. If you are shooting wood then learning to straighten them is essential. Even the shafts that are bought new from any supplier usually need to be straightened as they go from one environment/climate to another. There is a wide range of tools for straightening wood shafts but a rub with the round side of a spoon on the opposite side of the bend usually does the trick for me. Occasionally a careful blast with a heat gun is needed to sort out a stubborn bend. I know people who get great results using the ACE Roll-R-Straight available from 3 Rivers Archery ($28).

greydog

Saw Ray Mears straightening wooden shafts using light exposure to a fire then flexing them in the opposite direction to the bend...........of course if you follow his example, that may give you the urge to butcher a squirrel and cook it with a lark's vomit dressing, then serve with a side dish of bark and dandelion :boggled::yuck::D

LineCutter

You could try what I do:apply the thumbs of both hands to the apex of the bend, on it's convex side. Grasp the shaft loosely, with the fingers of both hands as close to the ends of the bend as possible. Apply progressive, even pressure with the fingers, while pivoting around the thumbs... Then take the two halves & salvage the pile, nock & fletchings :sigh:

Raedwald

A few things to try there - thanks.

All suggestions greatfully received - and I'll even try some of them out to work out what works best for me.

And as for the new bow, it's darned good thanks! Much more comfortable in the hand than the training bow. And, even with bounced, bent and broken arrows, shooting wooden feels more appropriate for me as well.