new yew log

neil sims

Hi everyone, I have recently been allowed to take a yew log (sapling) from a local wood with permission, the log is 6'6" long and6"in diameter,it has a clear side with no knots,i have now split this down using wooden wedges to allow the crack to follow a natural route.how long should I leave to dry?

Yew tends to dry out quite quickly which can make it crack, coat the ends of the log with wax if possible or something like some thick coats of pva or emulsion to stop the moisture flooding out.

After that, depends on the thickness of the sections, whether its inside or outside, temperature, air flow and also whether you've left the bark on or not. Bare minimum is probably going to be between 6 months to a year..

If Del comes along he's probably the most knowledgeable round here for drying times and whatnot..

D

Deleted member 7654

Leave it some where airy, out of the rain and off the ground. I use a draughty garage. After 9 months you can take the bark off and rough it down to more like a stave. After a year it should be ok to start serious work on it.
If the sap wood is thin enough to not need reducing, you can just remove the outer bark and leave the pinkish cambium, this will protect the delicate sapwood and will pop off when you start flexing the bow on the tiller....it will frighten the life out of you, but it leaves a perfect pristine back. :)
Airflow is vital, I've heard of people leaving wood in a cellar and it rotting.
Del