Shelf or rest

bluesman

I am just in the process of ordering a new bow from Andy at Blackbrook bows (Hawk Mk2) and I am seeking advice on wether its "best" to use a rest to shoot of or shoot from the shelf as I now do,Andy has advised that a rest would be better but as I shoot off the shelf at the moment and am comfortable with it I don't know what to choose,it is just a matter of preference or is one easier than the other,I've only been shooting for 4 months.I do prefer the look of the leather shelf rest I have on my Martin x200 looks more "natural" than a piece of plastic.

Raedwald

Had a similar discussion with another club member recently. He's gone away from shelf and now shoots off-rest on his hunter.

Me, I agree with you! A rest on my X200 just wouldn't look right at all!!!! :cheerful:

I shall therefore stick to the shelf!

Macbow

I guess it depends whether aesthetics or performance has priority. I shoot AFB but I recently got a 48# custom take down recurve from the USA as a travelling bow. I happily shot it for a while off the shelf but had a spare Hoyt Hunter rest so stuck it on just to see and was amazed by how much more accurate and forgiving the bow shoots now. I also have a set of shafts fletched up with vanes for the usual wet Scottish weather. I then borrowed a mate's stubby stabiliser as an experiment and once again got a noticeable increase in accuracy, so much so that I am currently looking at buying one of my own. Yes my lovely wood static recurve looks kind of ugly now but tighter groups at longer ranges looks very sweet indeed.
My advice is set the bow up for shooting off the shelf and enjoy shooting until you're satisfied with your groups. Then spend ?2 on a stick on rest, readjust your nocking point to suit and see if it makes enough difference to keep it. Throw it away if you don't like it and you're only out of pocket a few quid.

bluesman

The bowyer has asked shelf or rest because he puts a different radius on the shelf depending which method is used so I have to make my mind up before he starts work,shooting this Saturday so will pick the brains of some club members,thanks for the replies.
Ian

Macbow

bluesman said:
The bowyer has asked shelf or rest because he puts a different radius on the shelf depending which method is used so I have to make my mind up before he starts work,shooting this Saturday so will pick the brains of some club members,thanks for the replies.
Ian
Bluesman - the vast majority of hunting or field recurves can shoot off the shelf and with a rest as the rest is stuck on slightly above the shelf. My old Border Black Douglas was a case in point - it was made to take a plunger and rest but the shelf was also shaped for good flight. Andy Soars is a very fine bowyer and I can't see that he'd have a problem accommodating both possibilities.

bluesman

Got it sorted,don't know why I didn't think of it before,I bought a hoyt hunter rest from KG this morning on way to shoot removed the shelf rest and fitted it ,moved the nok and my shooting has improved no end,so its a rest for me from now on,thanks for the replies,Andy did say he could make the bow able to shoot of shelf and be able to use a rest,something to do with the shelf radius,but I got the distinct impression that it would be better all round if I chose one or the other and that he made the bow accordingly,all this in no way reflects on Andy,during my phone call I found him to be a really nice guy to talk to and was very patient,and 2 members at my club have just had AFB's made by him and they are delighted.Only downside is the wait 8 - 10 weeks before I get the bow, but I am absolutely sure it will be worth it.:yummy: