Tiller Bolt Settings

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Does anyone have a clever way of recording their tiller bolt settings so that an old setup can be replicated?

The only way that I know is to measure from fade to string which I find a bit clumsy when the two bolt settings, the brace height and string length all interact.

David

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
could you not wind them all the way in and count how many revolutions it takes?

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Same limbs on same riser?
It's so that I can document a setup before I play mix and match with limbs and risers, then easily go back to my original setup when I realise that the grass isn't greener on the other side of the fence, and what I really need to do is practice more.

D

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Oh good, I was worried I was totally missing something and had misunderstood the question 😂
I think that I got so fixated with the idea of measuring it somehow that I overlooked the obvious 🤪

Reactions: deg

albatross

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
When I have my bow setup I mark my tiller bolts with a permanant sharpie marker in line with the riser/tiller bolt. Then if I alter them I have some idea of where they should be!

Last edited:

DerekC

Jake Kaminski put his stainless steel precision bolts on the market at the beginning of 2023. As well as a precision diameter they have numbered marks at 45 degree intervals which after recording your numerical starting point you can adjust to whatever you wish. Because you have the original starting point its an easy adjustment to return to where you started, if required.
Hoyt have recently started to add the markings to their tiller bolts, here's hoping that the other manufacturers follow suit. Whilst they're at it they might like to start to supply tiller bolts that are accurately machined to .375 or .380
I bought a pair of bolts from the Kaminski website about three months ago, right from the start they were a precise fit for the sx100 limbs and for $70 I'm actually getting the best from the ££££ riser/limbs combination for the first time.

Geophys2

AIUK Saviour
On my Smartriser, the tiller bolts came with index markings, they also have a locking screw which, when loosened, allows the bolt to be turned by hand using fine positive click stops, much like a sight.

DerekC

Smartriser have certainly put emphasis on design & construction as well the aesthetics - and they certainly get the aesthetics right :)

ATH

Does anyone have a clever way of recording their tiller bolt settings so that an old setup can be replicated?

The only way that I know is to measure from fade to string which I find a bit clumsy when the two bolt settings, the brace height and string length all interact.

David
You can also mark the top of the bolt with sharpie to indicate where to align it, and then measure the gap from bolt to base of the limb pocket with a ruler. The thread is coarse enough that if your always rotating it back to the same position, the measurement should get you the right number of turns.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Well, I did this once and it worked great.

Then I did it again, and when the bolts were loose I happened to notice that there was some grot in the threads and thought, "I'll just clean that up - it'll be stopping the bolts threading in all the way".

Sure enough, it was.

D'oh!