West Highland Open Field Archery Competition dates 23rd , 24 th April 2022

Gavin Eisler

Supporter
Supporter
Competition , format , SFAA rules ( IFAA ) , 4 arrow ends, Field round 14 targets from 20 feet to 80 yards.

Hosted by Argyll Field Archers club, we are a small club 14 members,on the West Coast of Scotland set at the foothills of Ben Cruachan, the range rises from around 500 feet to 1,000 feet, top to bottom,
How to get there.
from Inverness, Fort William, Ballachullish, Connel , Taynuilt, turn left just after crossing the Bridge of Awe, B road sign posted InverAwe smokery.
Anyone one else from East or South. Look for the A85 , find Crianlarich, can be approached from Loch Lomond or Loch Earn , got to Tyndrum, turn left after Tyndrum on the Oban road.After Glen Strae You will pass through Dalmally , Loch Awe village, along the North Shore of Loch Awe, through the Pass of Brander,,River Awe on your left Brander Lodge Hotel, Crunachy filling station on left,.Just after Crunachy filling station ( Angus' locally) with the lodges for let by Argyll Holiday lets, take the B road right turn to InverAwe smokery, take it easy single track with passing places, proceed for about a mile along a twisty road ( dont take the left fork), down a dip there is a broad right turn before a wee bridge ,turn right up the hill , 20 only bumpy track, over the cattle grid, top of the hill, car park on right woods on left, room for maybe 25 cars, car sharing please if you can.

General Description,
in the woods above Inverawe smoke house , nearest village Taynuilt, nearest petrol station Crunachy filling station on the A85, nearest place you might have heard of , Oban which is about 15 miles west . Heading East to West as most folk approach on the A85 after Loch Awe, through the Pass of Brander,River Awe on your left Brander Lodge Hotel, Crunachy filling station on left,.
J
Field Round 14 targets, 10 feet to 80 yards
Hunter round 14 targets walk ups and fans, max 65 yards. 28 targets per day total, 2 days, 56 altogether, times four arrow rounds, work it out for yourself I make it 224 arrows, each day you will climb around 1500 feet in total, over crude forest paths, stout footwear is essential, please not wellies unless they have Comando type soles, they are too slippy on some sections. 25 £ for the 2 days. April in Scotland can be heaven or hell weatherwise, be prepared , you might need suncream, you might need thermals. If your quiver rattles you will miss all the glorious wildlife.
Location , Argyll Field Archers Range, Inverawe woods,
Accomadation, closest Hotel, Brander lodge ( I will ask here for a Archers "deal " ).closest self catering, Argyll Holiday Letts at Crunachy behind the filling Station, both about 3 miles from the range, next closest , Taynuilt, BnBs, Cabins up Glen Lonan Taynuilt. Further still, Oban , lots of places and pubs, Tralee Bay Holiday Park at Benderloch if you fancy a sandy beach. , April is not peak time so it should be easy to find a place that suits.

Just putting this out there, the two ranges are set in 10 acres of mixed Sitka Spruce and Larch, and 10 acres of Mixed broadleaf with glorius old Scots Pine and Oaks. if you are interested ask away. We are a bit green when it comes to running comps, payment details still to be worked out, watch this space. pics below shot around the range in various seasons. W e picked April because the sunshine hours are pretty good, and theres no midges till about 3 weeks later, the bracken wont be too high but there may be tics, we will have spray for that.

Pics , No1, the 35 yard uphill fan is at the end of the path, the bow , Gillo G2 25", Hoyt long limbs,70" old carbons, quite pingy for their age. Sheltering from the snow. The spruce gives surprising shelter in snow and light rain.

Pic 2 Bill Oliver at the last fan by the old Limes, before the blue bells come up, bow Black Douglas

Pic 3 At the Mother Oak , an old beauty toughing it out at the edge of the Spruces, downhill 20 yarder below, shoots from above the Oak

Pic 4 By the 15 yard uphill, mixed Downy Birch, Hazel, Rowan , Goat Willow, Ash, under canopy, old beauties round about. Bow KG Kudos riser 25", same Hoyt limbs as before.

Pic 5 and 6, Bill again, at the 60 yarder, old Scots pine to the right, Rowan berries Late summer. ILF bow this time, you cant hear the waterfall, but the noise is there.

Pic 7 Muriel, downhill 20 yards, by the Mother Oak. Spigarelli Riser , Win and Win limbs.
Sorry no pics of compounds , they are allowed as well.

Attachments

Last edited:

Vichek

Hi.
Just to say Hi to All Members.
I'm a member of IFAC ( Inverness field Archery club) and wondering if I could come and take part of Your Club event this April?
Regards.
Vichek - W.Sinkowski

Gavin Eisler

Supporter
Supporter
Hi Vichek, You are most welcome, AFAIK IFAC is part of the SFAA, I have shot round your field course if its the one inland from Nairn? Our course is similar but hillier and wetter. I am meeting with other SFAA bods this weekend, will find out about non SFAA members who wish to take part and post next week.

Vichek

Thank you Gavin.
That's great and I'm looking forward to take part of April shooting and I'll be appreciated if you can put my name on the list.
Yes the course is based Achagour near Nairn and I'm a member of IFAC since last May . Also together with few Friends we're running Foxhole Archers Club which has been reactivated after years of being forgotten and it's under North Field Federation.
Regards.
Vichek

Gavin Eisler

Supporter
Supporter
I had a word with one of the SFAA gaffers last WE. Non SFAA members may enter provided they are covered with insurance by some other org, like AGB or STAFAA.