Barebow Aiming

Riceburner

I was using "instinctive" for the lack of a better word to describe shooting without using an actual aiming point on either the bow or the arrow. And from the sound of it, apparently it takes an awful lot of practice; as I'm rubbish at darts maybe I should stick to using a sight and whatever other technology is available.
I think the last time I had that discussion with others, the word "Intuitive" was mooted as a better (than "instinctive") descriptor.

"Learnt Unconscious Aiming" would be more accurate but doesn't roll off the tongue very well. :D

rfd

Supporter
Supporter
Call it what you like, but "instinctive" or "intuitive" aiming is totally free form - NO soft or hard sights employed - it's all about the brain dictating how the muscles function. To be consistently repetitive requires acquiring prior brain data via consistent repetitive practice. This is how thrown darts and balls can acquire consistent accuracy, IF the brain can stitch together its gathered data and make muscle memory consistently obey. Once a soft sight is employed - some manner of visual reference - it's no long "instinctively intuitive". YMMV.

LAC Mark

I use "Unconscious" release, as in, I consciously aim but the point at which I release is an unconscious act.

This should have read "subconscious" :giggle:

Last edited:

malbro

Instinctive Archer
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I think the last time I had that discussion with others, the word "Intuitive" was mooted as a better (than "instinctive") descriptor.

"Learnt Unconscious Aiming" would be more accurate but doesn't roll off the tongue very well. :D
I agree that the term instictive is somewhat misleading, for me it is a learned action, I got better over time, I use both eyes open and concentrate on the target, yes I have the point of the arrow in my vision but not in focus, I find a quick shot is generally more accurate, just let the body do what it has learned is the right thing to do to get the arrow in the target. I shoot NFAS traditional bowhunter, a recurve bow, no sights, buttons or stabilisers using carbon arrows off the shelf with feathers rather than vanes. Works for me whatever you call it, but 'Instictive' seems to have stuck.

rfd

Supporter
Supporter
If you see the arrow in your peripheral vision, or see any part of the bow or bow hand for that matter, you are employing some manner of reference and therefore your aiming is employing a "soft sight" and is no longer truly "instinctive" or "intuitive". This is unlike throwing a ball or dart where there is no external reference for aiming other than what your brain has gathered via repetition and guides the eyes, hands, and fingers accordingly as the projectile is thrown (or shot) to a target.

Riceburner

I agree that the term instictive is somewhat misleading, for me it is a learned action, I got better over time, I use both eyes open and concentrate on the target, yes I have the point of the arrow in my vision but not in focus, I find a quick shot is generally more accurate, just let the body do what it has learned is the right thing to do to get the arrow in the target. I shoot NFAS traditional bowhunter, a recurve bow, no sights, buttons or stabilisers using carbon arrows off the shelf with feathers rather than vanes. Works for me whatever you call it, but 'Instictive' seems to have stuck.

I'm NFAS Bowhunter too (iirc),. but with even more handicaps than you: I shoot a basic horsebow (50" length is easier to handle in dense woodland), with no grip, no shelf (so off-the-hand), no markings on the face of the bow, or on the string. :) I still hit (the right) things and am amazed and gratified each time! :D

Riceburner

If you see the arrow in your peripheral vision, or see any part of the bow or bow hand for that matter, you are employing some manner of reference and therefore your aiming is employing a "soft sight" and is no longer truly "instinctive" or "intuitive". This is unlike throwing a ball or dart where there is no external reference for aiming other than what your brain has gathered via repetition and guides the eyes, hands, and fingers accordingly as the projectile is thrown (or shot) to a target.
I think the only way to shoot a bow without having the bow itself within your visual range would be to shoot "from the hip", or close your eyes! :D

Andy.D

Does it matter?

rfd

Supporter
Supporter
I think the only way to shoot a bow without having the bow itself within your visual range would be to shoot "from the hip", or close your eyes! :D
You would be wrong about that - lots depends on the archer's ability to concentrate on the spot and ignore the bow/arrow. It's a natural tendency to have the arrow in one's peripheral vision. Some who do so - such as the famed Howard Hill - used the arrow as some manner of aiming tool and called it "split vision". It's all good as long as it works well.

AJBrady

At a friend's house over the holidays I ended up playing some sort of Sci-Fi 3-D shooting game using "pistols" and Virtual Reality goggles and involving random moving targets. I found it difficult to aim the guns on the moving targets using their sights, so changed to shooting from the hip, and got much better results!

rfd

Supporter
Supporter
At a friend's house over the holidays I ended up playing some sort of Sci-Fi 3-D shooting game using "pistols" and Virtual Reality goggles and involving random moving targets. I found it difficult to aim the guns on the moving targets using their sights, so changed to shooting from the hip, and got much better results!
Hand / eye coordination at its finest.