Bow making thoughts

Roy1965

I've recently decided to give bow building a try for myself, I've starred by reading a few books and I've now decided ill just give it a go to see how it works out. I've found some good advise on this and a few other sites that will help me out. I build kyaks and hedge lay as hobbys so I have all the tools I could possibly require..

I've just finished reading about OTZI the ice man who used bows for hunting and it's got me thinking about what sort of wood ill use for my bows, and what style of how ill build. I can't imagine that 3/5 thousand years ago longevity of the bow was as important as it's pracibility and ease/speed to recreate.

1; what woods would the common uk man have used.
2; how long ago did tillering start to be used.
3; what did they do before tillering.

D

Deleted member 7654

Google Delsbows and Bowyers Diary
IMO Hazel is your best bet, it's readilly available, straight, easy working and relatively knot free.
It is very well suited to a neolithic or primitive stlye. 2" wide, flat belly, you can even leave the bark on the back.
Here's one blog entry with a nice video clip of my Son shooting a 'bark on' Hazel primitive.
Bowyer's Diary: Bark-on Hazel Finished + Video
40#-45# is a good target weight for such a bow.
The same style can be made out of almost any wood, Yew, Elm, Ash. But I'd recommend Hazel as it also reacts well to techniques like heat treatment and heat/steam bending.
Tillering is as old as making bows, except maybe the very first which may have been a sapling with a string on it. Tillering doesn't necessarilly need a tiller tree/rig/stic. It can be done by holding the bow up, pulling and observing, or looking as someone else draws it and then removing wood where appropriate.
You can see pics of the 'one hour' Hazel bow on Delsbows, you can see the tillering is rough, the wood isn't seasoned, but it shoots within an hour of starting... I cheated by making it to fit a string I already had.
Del

briantodd

Well. If there are a few of us making our bows why doesnt somone organise a shoot for home made bows only. the only pre requesit is it must be home made. would mak a very fun shoot i think.

D

Deleted member 7654

Well. If there are a few of us making our bows why doesnt somone organise a shoot for home made bows only. the only pre requesit is it must be home made. would mak a very fun shoot i think.
The 'primitive' class at NFAS field shoots tends to home made self bows. I'd like to think it's a growing class, but maybe that's wishful thinking.
To encourage bow building is one of the prime motivators in doing my Bowyers Diary (Oh dear, I lasped into management speak there :( )
Del

Roy1965

Thank you del, good little site to brouse over.

Hazel sounds like a good option for myself and it's an easy one to get hold of.. Even though I will make a few straight away, how long would you dry hazel for on average.?

D

Deleted member 7654

If you rough it out to approx dimensions, seal the ends and stick it on a warm (not hot) radiator, you can get it seasoned in a month. I usually give all my wood a year.
The trick is to cut a few staves, so that you can work some green while the rest is seasoning. If you find a year later you don't want it, it will make bean poles, fire wood or a habitat pile. When in doubt get some seasoning!
Some Hazel will split with a fair bit of twist, if it's 45 degrees or less over the length of the stave just ignore it!

Best advice is jump in and have a go, you'll learn so much doing the first one even if it doesn't turn out. You'll be getting a feel for the wood and the process.
Best book recommendation. Traditional Bowyers Bible vol1... that will keep you reading for a long long time, and is by far the best of the volumes.
Del

WillS

In case it's of any interest, pretty much every primitive European bow found so far has been made from yew. Otzi's was yew (although slightly different to the norm as it was made backwards, without any sapwood and with the innermost rings of the tree used for the back) as were the Mary Rose bows, most of the Holmgaard bows, the recent Norwegian bows and of course the Meare Heath bow found in Somerset.

You read an awful lot of stuff both in books and online about English yew being lower in quality than yew from say Italy, and while that's true at the very top end, English yew makes stunning bows of all draw weights. It's easy enough to find if you're patient, and especially easy to find if you steer yourself away from the typical "English longbow" design to start with.

If you're into primitive bows, and things like Otzi excite you then going for a Meare Heath / Holmgaard style design from yew will be fairly straightforward. Yew is incredibly forgiving (far more so than ash, elm or laburnum for instance) and can take quite a bit of punishment from inexperienced hands to still end up with a very good bow.

Going fully primitive and roughing out and shaping a bow using minimal tools, yew is excellent. You can strip the bark off, leave the sapwood intact and your back is finished. Scrape with a knife, scraper or spokeshave/drawknife at the belly until it bends the way you want and you're done. Keeping a bow wide and flat is the safest option to begin with and you should end up with minimal set/string follow provided you take care while tillering.

There was a discussion on Primitive Archer a while ago about how the "elders" would have tillered their bows, and the general consensus seemed to be that a simple tillering tree, or even just another pair of eyes would have been about the limit. When you see what the really experienced guys can do it makes a lot of sense. They can get a bow from log/branch to floor tillered using a few tools and a bit of elbow grease, and their skill and experience results in very little adjustment needed from floor tiller to final draw.

As Del said, jumping in is the best way to go. You can end up over-reading and over-thinking all this stuff and while second-hand information is good, nothing beats making a mistake yourself and learning from it.

I think the most common mistake most beginners make (I say this is a relative newbie to bow making and I'm still making the same mistakes!) is over-tillering. Trying to get everything perfect and even and smooth can easily end up preventing you from focusing on draw weight. Start somewhere sensible (35 - 45lbs perhaps) and aim to hit that draw weight. Get the tiller as close as possible of course, but you want to avoid having a beautifully tillered matchstick.