Brace height measurement

Andyt23

Having just been fiddling with the brace height on my recurve, I thought I'd check the measurement on my longbow - well, a Bickerstaff flatbow, which I know technically isn't a longbow but I don't what else to call it without typing a whole description out every time... It's a long bow that's been ironed.

Anyway, my question is at which point to measure the brace height from?
The measurement is 1/8th greater at the top of the handle measuring straight out from the nocking point, compared to the bottom.

So do I measure from the nocking point (seems most sensible to me), the middle (maybe), or the bottom (probably not) of the handle, or is the difference so negligible that I shouldn't concern myself and just pick one and go for it?

And should I go straight for the max written on the bow of 6 1/2" to keep it away from my wrist and reduce paradox?

cheers

D

Deleted member 7654

If you do it the old fashioned way, make a fist and stick your thumb up (a fistimelle). The base of your hand is big enough to iron out any discrepancies.
Measure your fistimelle and you always have it with you... (mine is 6" .... the fistimelle, that is :) )
6" should be plenty, remember a lower brace actually gives a longer power stroke and a faster arrow (contrary to popular belief!)
1/8" is neither here no there.
It's sensible to stay a tad lower than maximum in case the string gets inadvertently twisted up a bit.
Primitive styles tend to have lower brace heights anyway.
Del

blakey

Having just been fiddling with the brace height on my recurve, I thought I'd check the measurement on my longbow - well, a Bickerstaff flatbow, which I know technically isn't a longbow but I don't what else to call it without typing a whole description out every time... It's a long bow that's been ironed.

The measurement is 1/8th greater at the top of the handle measuring straight out from the nocking point, compared to the bottom.

So do I measure from the nocking point (seems most sensible to me), the middle (maybe), or the bottom (probably not) of the handle, or is the difference so negligible that I shouldn't concern myself and just pick one and go for it?

And should I go straight for the max written on the bow of 6 1/2" to keep it away from my wrist and reduce paradox?

cheers
I'd be very careful to keep the brace height under the recommended maximum on your Flatbow. Going over can put a lot of stress on the bow especially if it's all wood and no fibreglass. Best place to measure is from the indent in the handle where your thumb/finger webbing goes. There's a name for it but my brain's gone walkabout. :)

- - - Updated - - -

cheers
I'd be very careful to keep the brace height under the recommended maximum on your Flatbow. Going over can put a lot of stress on the bow especially if it's all wood and no fibreglass. Best place to measure is from the indent in the handle where your thumb/finger webbing goes. There's a name for it but my brain's gone walkabout. :)

Andyt23

Great, thanks gents - my fistmelle measurement is a straight 6", so that sounds good to me as an easy reference and well within limits as you suggest.
I'm glad I checked it though, it was only at 5".

WillS

I do a fistmele and then a thumbnail again on top of it. My fistmele is 6" and I find that too low for longbows. 6.75" is a slightly better height, I find. I don't know how much that's down to preference however.