Cheap carbons for Field archery?

4d4m

I was told by my first instructor that if an arrow broke and a piece got into your skin it could give you blood poisoning.
Turns out that isn't true, as far as I can tell from some internet searching, however there are people talking about the epoxies used to bind the fibres being carcinogenic when inhaled (don't think a deer is gonna smoke your arrows).
Nonetheless there is talk of how your body reacts to fibres under the skin in this thread, for example. A few folks talking about carbon structure, cancer, and the epoxies that are used. It's all a bit unproven, but probably worth paying attention to.
So, completely speculative then, thanks.

LittleSkink

quick google search found a University safety information sheet for working with Carbon Fibre - https://safety.unsw.edu.au/sites/de...NSW_Carbon_fibre_safety_information_sheet.pdf

My understanding (as someone with a degree in materials) is that this stuff is mostly inert once cured but has a splinter hazard risk.

Though some believe there is an inhalation risk (because of fibre size and physical similarity to asbestos fibre) I don't think there is published work / proof

LittleSkink

found this HSE report on fibres and the risk they pose - its a hefty report with some redactions, but it does seem to suggest some inhalation risk if you work with carbon fibre but not much else - https://www.hse.gov.uk/research/rrpdf/rr503.pdf

Did find some older work suggesting some types of carbon fibre (nano tubes mind) might behave like asbestos once inhaled - Carbon nanotubes introduced into the abdominal cavity of mice show asbestos-like pathogenicity in a pilot study - Nature Nanotechnology

Berny

Dunno where you got to with this it seemed to go off at a tangent to the original question.

I shoot Easton Powerflight shafts .... & so do/did lot's of others where I shoot.
Haven't bought any new shafts for a long while, still got 1doz 400 & 1doz 500 spine to make-up, having
bought them the year before lockdown to try out as I have a number of different bows,
but still not got around to making them up.

I moved from wood & bamboo to these, shooting 340 spibe & saw my scores improve radically,
until I switched from a D-R flatbow to SR & went backwards.

In past year started reshooting with the D-R flatbow for "fun" shoots, have changed the point weight from 100gn
to 175gn - this combination of spine & point weight work me!
.... but will go back to AFB with wood arrows for Border Bowfest
- as in their "Trad" class flat/longbows compete against recurves & there are too many good
shooters of recurves ;-)