Club Coaching

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Something came up at the club last night; for context we've got newly qualified coaches after our old ones left.

Does AGB insurance cover beginner coaching and have a goes at the club for public that aren't AGB members yet?

I presume that it does but I've never seen it stated anywhere.

David

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Yes, I kind of thought that it must be the case but I'd never seen anything written down.

D

AJBrady

While we're on the subject, one of our club's committee members has said that Archery GB require all beginners to use 32" arrows for safety. Can anyone confirm this?

AndyS

Supporter
Supporter
I've never come across anything of that sort, I think "low poundage beginners bows" appears in a few places, but I don't remember anything about arrows.
A blanket 32" for everyone sounds ridiculous and would give very variable safety, what about a child with a 22" draw length and a 12lb bow, massively safe, but would they reach the target? Or someone with an actual 32" or longer draw length (we had one on a course a few years back) a 32" arrow wouldn't exactly be my idea of a safe starting length there.

twangy_rubber

It was suggested on the coaching course module last week that "2 inches longer than the expected draw length" was a good start for beginner courses, in order to protect them against overdrawing injuries as the technique changes/improves over time.