Conquest Triumph compound - string alignment

Martin Heelis

Ironman
I'm trying to diagnose whether my compound has a fault or not. Should you be able to line the string up along the middle of the riser? If I line it up with the centre of the bottom of the riser, I cannot then line it up with the top.

FYI - I've done the arrow along the idler wheel bit and have about 1/8" space outside the string at the nocking point. Arrow is on the left hand side of the idler wheel (R/H bow).

thesmudger

You might be best off either referring to the manual - or accessing the manufacturers site for further information - I'm not sure which ones do and which ones don't, but I think that some compounds do not centre along the middle of the riser, they are off-set. Sorry to be vague, but the manual should help

Proper-bo Selecta

I'm trying to diagnose whether my compound has a fault or not. Should you be able to line the string up along the middle of the riser? If I line it up with the centre of the bottom of the riser, I cannot then line it up with the top.

FYI - I've done the arrow along the idler wheel bit and have about 1/8" space outside the string at the nocking point. Arrow is on the left hand side of the idler wheel (R/H bow).
Don't fret mine is exactly the same and that's how it's supposed to be. The riser is offset to get to cam & idler wheel lined up.

Line up string and centre of rest with the centre of the top half of the riser (down to the rear stabiliser bushing). The bottom part of the riser (below bushing) is offset to the right (RH bow).

The arrow along the idler wheel should run parallel with the string. Twist up split buzz to correct, but check for lean at full draw, not at brace.

M

Moose

Paper tune it to get it roughly right

Then do all the other tuning until it shoots right

Now at this point in LG's article in bow international he re paper tunes and then resets the idler wheel to get it so that it gives a bullet hole

He also says he does not always do this if the bow shoot how he wants

All in all if you are happy with the way it shoots leave it alone if not try and straighten the idler wheel by adjusting the yoke and see how it shoots and how you feel about it.

posted by moose on the loose

Martin Heelis

Ironman
Ok, good to know that it doesn't have to be centred in both the top and bottom of the riser.

I'm getting a left-tear. Any idea which way I adjust the idler wheel to compensate?

M

Moose

Adjust it back to square and start from there

Proper-bo Selecta

Adjust it back to square and start from there

What Moose said, but when shooting paper are you using stabilisers or not? I've found that its impossible to shoot bullet holes with some bows with the stabilisers fitted. Take them off and hey presto bullet hole. Opinion seems divided on whether stabilisers should be fitted when shooting paper, but for me if it shoots bullet holes without, the 'bow' is set up well.

JohnoFon

What Moose said, but when shooting paper are you using stabilisers or not? I've found that its impossible to shoot bullet holes with some bows with the stabilisers fitted. Take them off and hey presto bullet hole. Opinion seems divided on whether stabilisers should be fitted when shooting paper, but for me if it shoots bullet holes without, the 'bow' is set up well.
But aren't we supposed to tune the bow in 'shooting' configuration? You're saying that the stabilisers affect the way the bow reacts, so doesn't that invalidate the stabiliser-free tuning?

Last edited:

Proper-bo Selecta

But aren't we supposed to tune the bow in 'shooting' configuration? You're saying that the stabilisers affect the way the bow reacts, so doesn't that invalidate the stabiliser-free tuning?
Like I intimated opinion is divided. If you need an extreme rest position to get a bullet hole does that make it right?

Proper-bo Selecta

Like I said opinion is divided :)
I have found that I needed an extreme rest position to get bullet holes with stabilisers fitted. To me that can't be right. I set the rest on centre and shoot the bare bow and get a bullet hole.
After that fine tune with a French tune or walk back. Works for me but I am sure the other way works for some others too.

Martin Heelis

Ironman
Don't fret mine is exactly the same and that's how it's supposed to be. The riser is offset to get to cam & idler wheel lined up.
For amusement value I moved the yoke 3 twists in the opposite direction I've been going. No effect at all! :(

I put my bow in the bow vice and then I got out my spirit levels and attached one to the side of the riser. Positioned the entire bow vertically and then put a second one on the limb near the idler wheel. That limb came up level but when repeated on the limb that the cam is on it wasn't. Do you get the same thing or is my limb twisted?

Martin Heelis

Ironman
I spent an hour taking pictures and then sent them to Clickers. I guess they didn't like what they saw since they're starting a warranty claim with Mathews.

Martin Heelis

Ironman
Do you know what they didn't like the look of? Limb twisted or riser perhaps?
Not morbid curiosity being a fellow Triumph owner!
According to my newly purchased spirit levels it's the cam limb. The riser seems to be straight. I phoned them up and stated what I thought was wrong and they didn't disagree in the email they sent so I'm guessing that I was right.

TBH - just looking at the cam limb I can see that the dampener bracket isn't in-line now