Did you write in to GNAS to express your views about the dress code?

Did you respond to the clothing question in AUK

• Yes direct to GNAS only

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Yes to the Shepherds only

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • Yes to both GNAS and the Shepherds

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • No I didn't respond

Votes: 38 73.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I wrote directly to GNAS to state my views about the dress code, as I felt it was the governing body I needed to complain to. (Guess what my thought is about white and green).

I did not really want to burden individuals that are trying to assist in raising this. But by the sounds of it apathy rules. So time to buy some Daz, and get my whites whiter than white.

I did like the article trying to justify why green and white should be worn because some Prince wore it years ago, and wanted to be dandy. Who cares? If I wanted to do military re-enactment I would join a re-enactment club. I thought I was taking part in a modern olympic sporting event, not a lets hark back to the days when Britain was an empire - how forward thinking.

Murray

Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
I was one of the first to vote because I wrote to the Ops comittee before the article was published in AUK. :cheerful:

Whisky - the AUK article says that's all the copies which Landed on Ann's desk. She's forwarding them to the committee. The committee may have had direct response.

I offered GNAS to set up a poll for them, but they didn't take me up on it. I see someone else has set up a petition, but I don't think it will hold much weight (too open to potential fraud).

I've lost interest in the whole debate - I tried to let as many people as possible know about the article at the time, but I guess there aren't that many people really interested enough to make a stand. I'm off to re-dye my fading greens to the right shade :knockout:

Last edited by a moderator:

madmac

I have just sent email off to the Shepherds asking for black to be added as i complain all the time and decided that if I dont do nothing about it then I will have to shut up:faint: (I voted so i wont):melodrama

Ffish

If green and white is so important to GNAS because of tradition then why isn't the colour of the GB team Green & White?
Because nearly all GB team colours, irrespective of which sport, are red white and blue. Or a variation thereof. Those colours are a "nation thing" not a "tradition thing".

My understanding of the green & white was either a throw back to the days of people like Robin Hood for the green, and crown green bowls for the white. Anyone ever see the film "Blackball" with Paul Kaye? (AKA Dennis Pennis) Somehow I reckon the crustiness of GNAS could just as easily have been depicted in that film!

D

Deleted member 74

If green and white is so important to GNAS because of tradition then why isn't the colour of the GB team Green & White?
Because FITA rules only allow plain white or your country's national outfit. Since green isn't a national colour of GB, they went for red, white and blue, but mostly white. I've been led to believe that there will be a new GB outfit in 2007...

ben tarrow

I voted NO because I couldnt care less one way or the other

I am surprised that so many people admit on here to voting NO, when usually I would expect the people who dont protest to do so out of lethargy (or like me, just not having an overriding opinion) and therefore wouldnt be bothered to vote NO in the second place.

My twisted sense of humour is looking forward to the next really hot summer we get when all the clubs who have all black club colors will be dying in the summer heat, or rummaging through their wardrobes for their long since discarded WHITE tops and trousers.

Lastly, I detect a growing movement on this forum towards running the GNAS by popularism with calls to mass email the Sherratts and soapbox calls for postal voting.

GNAS has a clearly defined set of rules on how to affect changes. So if you really want postal voting, one vote per member, table a motion and do it properly. Be sure that your really want what you wish for.

Because nearly all GB team colours, irrespective of which sport, are red white and blue. Or a variation thereof. Those colours are a "nation thing" not a "tradition thing".

My understanding of the green & white was either a throw back to the days of people like Robin Hood for the green, and crown green bowls for the white. Anyone ever see the film "Blackball" with Paul Kaye? (AKA Dennis Pennis) Somehow I reckon the crustiness of GNAS could just as easily have been depicted in that film!
Hmmm
Australia
Red, White, and Blue = Nation Thing or
Green and Yellow = Tradition Thing

Current GNAS rules are:
a) too restrictive (you can white top, with some piping on it - wow how daring)
b) too vague (dark green, how dark is dark?)

I am not advocating a free for all, just something a bit more sensible.
e.g. For gents a long or short sleeved polo top, and tailored shorts or trousers. The similar can then apply to ladies, plus option of a skirt. Colour does need to be an issue.

Then the traditionalists can wear the green and white, and other archers can just wear whatever colour they like. If you are in a team you can all wear the same as each other, trousers included.

Capt. Al

I respond to the clothing question in AUK but to Ann Shepherd only.

I only sent her an e mail last week as I wanted to ask my fellow Club members what they thought and we generally agreed they should add black clothing.:chat:

So the chances of her getting my e mail before AUK came out is very slim.:sigh:

So I sent one on behalf of my Club.:cheerful:

M

Moose

Not covinced it is valid

At the time of the original requests it seemed from the wording that GNAS were doing it just to quiet down the masses of letters.

If they came back with some suggestions rather than leaving it open to the 20,000 different ideas they would get then I would through in my two peneth worth.

My objection to green and white is only to do with practicality

White ends up filthy and stained so looks a mess and green is not easy to get hold of, I feel that any dress code should ensure that the feilds look presentable i.e. no jeans etc, but should be limited to walking trousers, skirts etc or other types of casual wear but not the usual tracksuit or chav wear

Before I get called an old fart I normally wear jeans and teeshirt being a headbanger I am normally allergic to casual wear unless it can be justified:raspberry

Thunk

Ironman
I think part of the problem may be the proportion of archers who actually take part in competition outside their club.

Most people just seem to shoot at their club once a week, and most clubs don't ask for green and white on club days. The only one around here that insists on green and white that I can think of is Royal Richmond, I think because they are impressed with the 'Royal' (which of course applies to the town of Richmond, not the archery club).

If I'm right, then most people aren't affected by the dress code and so may express an opinion on the forum but find it too much effort to write or email GNAS about something which doesn't affect them personally. I would be quite interested in finding out what proportion of GNAS members took part in a competition away from their home club in the last year. I think that AIUK members may be atypical in this respect - perhaps this is the cue for another poll...

Raphe

I havent had this problem yet (long way to go before I compete), but I just know that obtaining regulation clothes in an appropriate size is going to be nigh-on impossible for me. It seems like the national body only wants competitors that have the sort of 'national body' that can shop in the local high street sports shop.

An uncontroversial way to mandate a uniform: have the national body sell the required clothing itself in every possible size and configuration for prices that undercut supermarkets/online.

That would probably get two responses:
1) Its too difficult for us to source at the price required
2) We should be concentrating on the sport itself

... both of which are as true for the individual as governing body.