Barebow First 18m Indoor round of the season

steve Morley

Bit of a personal victory for me, after a neck injury that gave me a poor performance in Hungary and Italy I took a break to heal and tried to rebuild my shot and mental game, it has been a challenge over the last 4-5 weeks and some days it was so frustrating that I felt like throwing in the towel a couple of times.

I shot our first qualification shoot for our Nationals, 266 and 271 for a 537 total, it felt very good to be back in the groove :poulies: Still plenty of room for improvement so i'm not going to relax just yet.

blakey

Bit of a personal victory for me, after a neck injury that gave me a poor performance in Hungary and Italy I took a break to heal and tried to rebuild my shot and mental game, it has been a challenge over the last 4-5 weeks and some days it was so frustrating that I felt like throwing in the towel a couple of times.

I shot our first qualification shoot for our Nationals, 266 and 271 for a 537 total, it felt very good to be back in the groove :poulies: Still plenty of room for improvement so i'm not going to relax just yet.
That's great shooting, and would have taken out our National Indoors Championship, and set a new National record! What's the current European Indoor record? I'm interested to see how bad we are down here. :)

steve Morley

That's great shooting, and would have taken out our National Indoors Championship, and set a new National record! What's the current European Indoor record? I'm interested to see how bad we are down here. :)
I think Semandi has it in the 570's, Dewayne Martin and John Demmer also shot similar scores in Vegas, I think first round he was only 10 points behind Brady, makes you want to throw away your bow and take up ping pong lol

Thing is they shot Trad div couldn't Stringwalk and still shot crazy 570 scores, John has the Batman shirt on.

[video=youtube;0sRRnaGmdow]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sRRnaGmdow[/video]

Valkamai

Thing is they shot Trad div couldn't Stringwalk and still shot crazy 570 scores, John has the Batman shirt on.

[video=youtube;0sRRnaGmdow]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sRRnaGmdow[/video]
I think that actually shot in the barebow division (against the compounds!!!). And i think john demmer did stringwalk.

cweg

Great scoring Steve!!

My second Year of Archery, first BB Indoor Season 228 and 236 at last Training...........far, far away from your and the other Toparchers. ;)

steve Morley

Been away for a week (took my kids to see Grandma in UK), Kats told me I had to do Fita18m for National qualifications 'TODAY'.

Started off pretty decent with a 270 but felt I was struggling with focus on second half for a 256 so got a 526 in total, only around 10 points under last round but it did feel mentally a lot harder to get that score.

I had no 40cm single spot faces so shot the 3 spot face, athough I was never out the red score zone I think maybe the 3 spot made it harder mentally.

blakey

I had no 40cm single spot faces so shot the 3 spot face, athough I was never out the red score zone I think maybe the 3 spot made it harder mentally.
I tried shooting the 3 spot one time in our last indoor season, coz I was getting fed up with arrow damage. I was shooting thin walled 2312 allies and hitting the shafts. I found I was nowhere as consistent with the 3 spot. I put it down to having to move the point each shot, just that bit harder to get in the zone and stay in the same groove. :)

steve Morley

. I found I was nowhere as consistent with the 3 spot. I put it down to having to move the point each shot, just that bit harder to get in the zone and stay in the same groove. :)
The order I shot was middle, top and bottom, the bottom spot I really struggled keeping in the 10/9 zone, haven't figured if it was a focus issue (always my 3rd arrow) or if it was a location error i.e. my brain just didn't like shooting the lower spot.

dfrois

Supporter
Supporter
Our indoor Champs use mandatory 3-spots, and many have trouble with them, me included! Also on the bottom spot. In my case, it is definitely a position problem, as the consistency is there on each of the same spots, just not in the middle. Although, if I shot as well as you did, I would be very happy! Again, great shooting, Steve. Congratulations.

DF

steve Morley

If anybody is curious I'm not shooting the Vanquish indoors, just my old Moon riser with a modified grip (I took a file to it and got it similar to a Jager grip on the Vanquish), 36# Off the fingers with 29" 525 Cheetah3D's, 20g Inserts and 105g Tophat points, KVanes, they're actually shooting more consistently than the ACE's for me, I'm guessing it's the mid diameter shaft and slighty higher shaft weight/FOC that helps keep my score on track.

Form improvements have made a huge difference to my scores, made my front shoulder much more stable, some lightweight/high reps weight training to build up some strength, I'm having to be much more conscious of my shoulder position during setup as it seemed to be a weak link in my Form, a lot of extended holding drills and let downs got me a lot more stable and feeling relaxed about my float, I worked on developing a smoother release. Adjusting the grip to make it thinner at the throat has allowed a more relaxed bow hand. I think the work on the front shoulder and the relaxed bow hand have allowed the most significant improvements for me, everything just feels easier now.

I decided not to mess with the 43# Vanquish Field/3D setup, I'm a little scared I may never get it back shooting quite so sweet again lol

blakey

Just
If anybody is curious I'm not shooting the Vanquish indoors, just my old Moon riser with a modified grip (I took a file to it and got it similar to a Jager grip on the Vanquish), 36# Off the fingers with 29" 525 Cheetah3D's, 20g Inserts and 105g Tophat points, KVanes, they're actually shooting more consistently than the ACE's for me, I'm guessing it's the mid diameter shaft and slighty higher shaft weight/FOC that helps keep my score on track.

Form improvements have made a huge difference to my scores, made my front shoulder much more stable, some lightweight/high reps weight training to build up some strength, I'm having to be much more conscious of my shoulder position during setup as it seemed to be a weak link in my Form, a lot of extended holding drills and let downs got me a lot more stable and feeling relaxed about my float, I worked on developing a smoother release. Adjusting the grip to make it thinner at the throat has allowed a more relaxed bow hand. I think the work on the front shoulder and the relaxed bow hand have allowed the most significant improvements for me, everything just feels easier now.

I decided not to mess with the 43# Vanquish Field/3D setup, I'm a little scared I may never get it back shooting quite so sweet again lol
Just wondering what limbs are you shooting on the Moon, Steve? Cheers

steve Morley

Just
Just wondering what limbs are you shooting on the Moon, Steve? Cheers
Med 36# KStorms on the Moon and short 42# K7's on the Vanquish, I wanted med K7's but that's all Alt Services had left. No complaints about them being short, just thought they might have been a tad smoother.

blakey

Med 36# KStorms on the Moon and short 42# K7's on the Vanquish, I wanted med K7's but that's all Alt Services had left. No complaints about them being short, just thought they might have been a tad smoother.
I thought from memory you might have KStorms. I have a pair on my field setup. With Indoors I've been playing with some K2s. They seem to have similar specs to the old Tropics. They're a slower limb than the KStorms but seem to vibrate less. I think the wood soaks it up a bit. I seem to remember Holger saying something similar somewhere about wood being more of a vibration sink for stringwalking. But it's probably just all in my head! :)

steve Morley

18m indoor.jpg

A little rushed for time today, those 5 holes in the top left of the 7 zone were all done in the first 4 ends. I shot 6 warm up arrows on another face and went straight into the round. Trying to get the round done to miss the rush hour traffic and pick up the kids from Kindergarden. consistently shooting 530's so happy with that.

Keeping them within the red zone seems to be mentally working well for me and feel that goal is consistently achievable, next goal is not to drift out of the 8 zone, that should help boost my score.

steve Morley

Tough weekend shooting Nationals, as my friend decided to do a log making week despite my protests about being the wrong time for me.

Turned up at tourney after not shooting for more than a week with very sore shoulders/arms and back from lifting trees on to cutting machine, the whole practice round I never hit the spot once, I felt all the confidence drain out of me, the first scored end was 6,6,6

I somehow I dug deep managed to shoot 507 and win, it was my lowest score this season, it was good to win but felt a slightly hollow victory because I didn't hit the scores I know I can, even under pressure I know I can hit 520's without too much effort.

Next time I'll learn to say "No" to my friends lol

Lifting these bad boys by hand on to the machine for 4 days was a killer, I'm no spring chicken anymore and takes longer to recover.