Fletch Burner

flatfoot

I would like to make a feather burner with a heated wire.
The mechanics no problem. The transformer I have no idea. I am almost electrically illiterate.
Could anyone suggest a UK source of transformer that may be suitable please. It is suggested that I require 180 VA/10 amp. with variable voltage between 2 to 24 volts. Any help gratefully received.

frustratatosk

Hi flatfoot,
This is the sort of thing your looking for but they're not cheap
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/power-supplies-transformers/transformers/variacs/
You will probably want to combine it with a normal single output transformer to drop from 240V down to 24V and then use the variac to sweep from 0 to 24V (0 to 100% supply)
Another way that may be cheaper -
If you can find a dimmer switch rated high enough
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/lighting/lighting-components-accessories/dimmer-switches/
Then you could use a fixed ratio transformer to match that to your desired output range
The variac is better generally as it will deliver a full sine wave phase to the load but for heating some resistance wire the switched output of the dimmer should be fine. Would have to experiment a bit.

P.S. The reason why the dimmer is less than ideal is that it needs to be supplied with 240Vac and if you were to use that directly then you would have a very small range of adjustment. Putting it's output across a 24V output transformer would give you the limited range you were after but the limiting transformer would be inefficient as it is being supplied with a pulsed 'duty cycle' wave.
Variacs are better as they can be supplied with any voltage ac (within their operational limits) and still be fully effecient.
Triac switching (dimmer) is much cheaper though for the same power.
P.P.S. Dont use a dimmer on its own! It's output is not isolated from the mains supply and the best part of mains voltage will be supplied to your burning wire with obvious safety concerns! You would have to follow the dimmer with an isolating transformer.

D

Deleted member 7654

I've done it, but there is a limitation, the wire needs pulling taut and as such will only cut in a straight line.
See this blog entry:-
Bowyer's Diary: Hot Wire Feather Cutter
There is a vastly cheaper quicker and easier method which is to cut the shape you want out of brass (or similar) sheet and heat it with a gas torch or similar. This will then trim up feathers that have been rough cut.
See this blog entry:-
Bowyer's Diary: Curved Profile Feather Shaper
Del

frustratatosk

On an American site I think I've seen one using a heated strip rather than a wire so it doesn't sag but you'd have to be careful the material you chose or it will be dimming all the house lights when you power it up :)

By the way, and just out of interest,
The simplest and maybe cheapest supply would be to have a row of 25W 240V bulbs in parallel. Tungsten bulbs are great current limiters and each successive bulb connected would pass another 25W (or other value)
Then you would definitely need a cover over the heated element as it would be live.