Foam pad with 'some' arrow rests - when/should they be used?

MJDEWEY86

Howdy bow people!

Probably a silly question but would rather ask and confirm than not ask and make a mistake.

Little double sided foam pad that comes with an arrow rest.

Are they essential? Do they absorb some of the force on release? Do they move the arrow just that much further from the riser for fletching clearance?

Or are they a preference choice?

I've ordered some Hoyt Super rests, some Avalon Heavy Duty rests and a slightly nicer looking metal arm Avalon rest and between them I also now have a small selection of these foam pads.... I'm about to replace a broken plastic one with the metal arm rest - should I use a pad? Is it a benefit, a hindrance? Or is it purely "whatever dude"?

Thanks 😬

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Depends...
Are you using a button? If so, and the rest can be positioned with the arrow and the button correctly without it, don't use the squishy bit. It just gives more room for inconsistencies, wear and tear, and room for error. If you don't use a button, or don't have well matched arrows, or can't be othered to tune, use the pad.

MJDEWEY86

Thanks for the reply, nope - no plunger in sight.

So you say about "not having well matched arrows" - why would the squishy bit be beneficial here?

wully

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Thanks for the reply, nope - no plunger in sight.

So you say about "not having well matched arrows" - why would the squishy bit be beneficial here?
If you have spent the time to tune your arrows to the bow then you shouldn’t need any squishy things to even out inconsistencies in form/release that buttons help with.
As I understand it, a perfectly matched arrow shot with excellent form should ‘jump’ up and off the shelf with hardly any contact with the bow on release..

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
That's if you are shooting off the shelf, yes, but the better matched and the better tuned, the less squishy stuff needed.