Gateway Feather Tracers

Graham Smith

AIUK Saviour
Hi and a Happy New year to all. I was wondering how many people on here use feather tracers on their arrows, mainly in field or 3d archery.

I've used them for a couple of years and don't like shooting arrows without them now. They are great for seeing your arrows in flight and where they land on the target. Also great for finding arrows that miss. (other peoples, not mine) ;)

Attachments

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I've heard people saying good things about them in the past and was going to try some when I made some new arrows.

Do they affect tune at all?

Graham Smith

AIUK Saviour
I've heard people saying good things about them in the past and was going to try some when I made some new arrows.

Do they affect tune at all?
No, not that I can see. I did weigh one on grain scales once and it didn't register. They are as light as a feather (sorry).
As I said they are great and I wouldn't want to shoot without them now.
The instructions say to attach them with glue but I use double sided fletching tape. Just start at the fletch and spiral up a few times. Much less messy.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I bit the bullet and added these to my last order and put them on four of my arrows.

My observations were:

It's truly astonishing how much more visible the arrows are - they look like a paintball splat on the target. I could clearly see arrows at 50m that I'd normally struggle to see at 20m.​
They did affect my point on. It went down from 50m to about 45m (not a scientific test but definitely a few meters).​
They did seem to shed. Every shot that I made left a cloud of yellow fluff. I'm not sure if that's a break-in thing or whether they'll be bald in a few weeks.​

All in all I'm going to put them on a few more arrows and persevere. My initial thoughts are that the visibility advantages will outweigh the disadvantages unless they turn out to be a maintenance problem.

But they do look a bit silly in the quiver...

Graham Smith

AIUK Saviour
Yes it really is amazing the difference they make in being able to follow your arrows flight and see then on the target. As to the shedding problem, that will stop quickly after you have shot them a few times. They do eventually wear out but it takes a long time and considering they cost around 30 pence each I don't find that a problem.
When they get wet from landing somewhere other that the target ( We all do it lol) they do look a bit sorry for themselves but steaming them as we do for feathers over a boiling kettle or pan improves them. You can get waterproofing powder for them and the makers recommend this but I've not done that.
I have not noticed a difference in point on but you may be right about that although I shoot more instinctive. I think as you say, the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.
As for looking silly in the quiver, I think the opposite. I like the way they look but then again I use a field quiver that points backwards so can't really see them.
I'm glad you like them and to be honest I wouldn't be without them now.... happy shooting.

malbro

Instinctive Archer
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I have been using them for the last year or so, great for field archery, they help to make the arrows very visible especially if you miss the target.

Graham Smith

AIUK Saviour
I have been using them for the last year or so, great for field archery, they help to make the arrows very visible especially if you miss the target.
Yes I use them for field archery too and they are great for locating arrows in the undergrowth.

Graham Smith

AIUK Saviour
I assume they just glue on?
I use double sided fletching tape to fix mine on. Much less messy than glue but the video does say to use glue.
I start at the top of the fletch and wrap the tape in a spiral towards the nock, then peel off the red cover tape and wind the tracer on.