Hickory Longbow question

D

Deleted member 7654

Yes left side, mid limb is a tad stiff.
Not too drastic if that is the lower limb, as they are usually tillered a bit stronger than the upper limb.
A gentle stroke or two of a cabinet rasp b'stard file should sort it. Don't try to fully correctit, else you are likely to over do it. Just ease off a section about 10" long mid limb, blended in V gently at either end of that area.
Del

Well thats as far as i dare push that limb. Still a bit stiff but alot less than before and going any further i think will cause more problem, So sanded down with different grades to around a 1500 grade for finish.

Now i just need a new string for it, Any suggestions?

Once the nocks are on i think ill walnut oil it a few times before adding the bees wax polish back on.

Not to go shoot a few arrows after all the work of getting it right (I think, sorta) :)

D

Deleted member 7654

A tiny bit of work mid limb will make very little difference to draw weight but may just give a slightly better curve and even out the stress along the whole limb. Too much stress at one point can cause chrysals on the belly (tiny compression fractures), easing it off will spread the load and may prevent problems later.
Having taken off wood and draw weight, the bow should be less stressed as long as the tiller is good.
Say you lose one more pound of draw weight and at the same time spread the load more evenly over the whole limb, the bow will be much less likely to fail.
It's fairly subtle, just a little filing or scraping mid limb certainly won't do any harm and may well do a lot of good.
I agree you don't want to try to do much...
Waterbuffalo horn will get posted tomorrow.
Del
BTW. Why do you need a new string, the old one should still fit.

I took a little off and it has made a difference. I just don't want to go to far with that and destroy everything else I've managed, Gut feeling tells me to stop.

The string the bow came with is beyond bad. Only reason it hadn't been changed before is the fact i couldn't draw the bow very well so was trying to work into it. Without any success. Now i can pull it i don't want to risk the bow for a bad string.

On the plus sides shooting a few arrows by car headlights and the whole bow is alot better and much smoother.

D

Deleted member 7654

Excellent... yes listen to your gut feelings... I call it that little voice whispering in my ear. I ignore it at my peril!
Hopefully the old string will at least give you a length measurement for a new one.
If you are thinking of having a go at making a bow from scratch, now is the time of year to keep an eye out for any copicing or tree work going on locally. You can pick up all sorts of decent timber to have a go with at no cost, local conservation groups, council etc are a good start point, or just keeping your eyes open after storms. Hazel and Ash are generally plentiful, Maple, Sycamore etc too.
I've just popped some W/buffalo horn in the post, tip me the wink when it arrives. It works with ordinary wood working or metal working tools.
Del