How long a novice?

MikeD

I can't find anything helpful on the GNAS site. How long do you remain a novice for competitions? Is it just 'till you get two scores to get a real classification, or your first year as a GNAS member, or even longer???

Cheers

Mike

joetapley

There is no 'novice' class in GNAS. As soon as your a member you can enter competitions etc. that's down to you.

For handicap shoots you do need a handicap so you need three qualifying scores. Classification is basically irrelevant though some tournaments do award prizes based on class e.g. best 2nd class score or something similar.

MikeD

Ahhh, I think.

The first competition I entered was the SAA Indoor Junior and Novice Portsmouth 2 weeks ago. They defined Novice as someone who had joined GNAS after September 2004. However Sunday's shoot did not have a definition in the application of 'novice', but that was the category I was in.

Will I get a classification from 2 Portsmouths and a Fita 18, or does it have to be three of the same round?

Meddler

Classification / handicap is worked out on any three rounds (indoor for indoor classification / outdoor for outdoor classification).

You could shoot Portsmouth / Worcester / FITA 18 and you'll get a classification ( and coincidentally a handicap....)
Iain.

MikeD

Excellent, I'll get a classification after Loreburn on Sunday then. I take the scores have to be in competition. I've handed in quite a few at the club but havn't got a classification or handicap yet.

tel

Fonz Awardee
Meddler said:
Classification / handicap is worked out on any three rounds (indoor for indoor classification / outdoor for outdoor classification).

You could shoot Portsmouth / Worcester / FITA 18 and you'll get a classification ( and coincidentally a handicap....)
Iain.
...assuming you shoot the required score ;)

tel

Fonz Awardee
MikeD said:
Excellent, I'll get a classification after Loreburn on Sunday then. I take the scores have to be in competition. I've handed in quite a few at the club but havn't got a classification or handicap yet.
See above! Only kidding MikeD ;)
Scores at Club Target days also count - check with your records officer, you may well already have a classification/handicap!

PS sorry about the double posting by the way - can't seem to get two quotes in one post ! :confused:

Shirt

MikeD said:
You shooting morning or afternoon? I'm in the afternoon - look for the guy with the stars and stripes bow.

pelican

Hi MikeD, didn't realise any AIUK members I didn't know were at Lasswade, we were there too. Cal and I are shooting pm at Loreburn, I'll be wearing the white chestguard with purple trim(my lucky one).

Hope to see you then. Good shooting!

Murray

Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
Hi!

"Novice" is classed as being within the first year of your GNAS membership. This is a bit of an anomaly if you've been shooting for many years (as I did) prior to joining GNAS!

Have fun at Loreburn!

Classification/handicaps - if your club doesn't have a records officer, chances are no-one is calculating the handicaps/classifications for you. Ask for a loan of the GNAS book from your club secretary (all secretaries get a copy as far as I know ), and then you can work them out for yourself (If you understand excel macros, I could send you my spreadsheet which does some of the grunt work for you)

MikeD

Thanks Murray, I'll check with our records officer tonight. So if I now have an indoor classification should I enter the Lasswade shoot in January with that classification. But when it comes to outdoors I shoot as novice until I have three scores with the records officer?

Shirt, I'm shooting in the afternoon at Loreburn. I'll be wearing green trousers and a white polo shirt :duh: (and have a red Winnact riser and W & W limbs, Black chest guard).

Pelican, is that wee Calum? If so I shot in his group at Montrose, and saw you at the try out day at Dalmore a few weeks ago.

Murray

Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
MikeD said:
So if I now have an indoor classification should I enter the Lasswade shoot in January with that classification.
Well, you're still a novice regardless of classification so it's up to you :) Frankly, I'd put in both (Novice/D for example) just to give Tina a headache :D

The confusion I think you're experiencing is that Novice is NOT a classification. Indoor classifications are A-H, non-classified (n/c) and un-classified (u/c). (u/c means not having shot 3 scores at the lowest class or above, n/c means having had a classification, then lost it by not having shot 3 scores at the lowest class or above).

"Novice" isn't mentioned anywhere in the GNAS rulebook or administrative procedures.

MikeD said:
But when it comes to outdoors I shoot as novice until I have three scores with the records officer?
As above. Hope that helps??

MikeD

Thanks Murray, all is clear now.

While I have your attention... Do you usually get an entry form for the Aberdeen Combined Fita to put on the SAA site?