NFAS - visitor to another club?

LittleSkink

We are new to Field archery but (hopefully) joining an NFAS club and getting our full NFAS membership sorted over the next few weeks. We would be joining the local club

- apologies if this is common knowledge, couldnt find it on any website - can we go to other NFAS clubs as visitors and shoot? Or does it depend on the club?

We live in Yorkshire but travel about quite a bit (hopefully, lockdown permitting!)

bobnewboy

Initially you will become Provisional members, and would not be allowed to shoot at other clubs. You should practice at your club, ideally along with other experienced archers, and perhaps get some coaching up until the point where your other club members feel you should be assessed by a "recognised" or "designated" archer already at your club. You should also have a good look at the NFAS rule book (you should get one with your membership) , and any local safety instructions. When you have been assessed and signed off by that designated person, and you have notified the membership secretary, you will become a full member. On receipt of your full membership card you would be allowed to shoot and compete in friendly and/or Open shoots at your own and other NFAS clubs. As a full member, it might also be possible to shoot for practice at other NFAS club grounds, while being accompanied as a guest or visitor, but that varies according to the hosting club's own rules. Some clubs allow visitors, some don't.

Geophys2

AIUK Saviour
My NFAS club does allow, non-member, full NFAS members to shoot at our club for a daily fee, we are open four full days a week, so do have a number of members of other nearby clubs come and shoot in our woods especially mid week. Our course is 40 3D permanently set. With the current Covid booking systems in place our own members do of course have priority.

Club's circumstances will vary so you'll need to check with each club to see what their rules are.

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
My NFAS club does allow, non-member, full NFAS members to shoot at our club for a daily fee, we are open four full days a week, so do have a number of members of other nearby clubs come and shoot in our woods especially mid week. Our course is 40 3D permanently set. With the current Covid booking systems in place our own members do of course have priority.

Club's circumstances will vary so you'll need to check with each club to see what their rules are.
Sounds like a great setup!

DarkMuppet

Nice!

What club is this? 😀

LittleSkink

From reaching out to a number of NFAS clubs, it seems each club decides what works for them

Some arent set up to welcome non-members, others seems very open to the idea - slowly building a list for myself of the ones we could visit in our travels

It would be lovely if a list of "visitor friendly" NFAS clubs existed but not sure how easy that would be in practice

Riceburner

From reaching out to a number of NFAS clubs, it seems each club decides what works for them

Some arent set up to welcome non-members, others seems very open to the idea - slowly building a list for myself of the ones we could visit in our travels

It would be lovely if a list of "visitor friendly" NFAS clubs existed but not sure how easy that would be in practice

If you're prepared to publish your research, that might be a start? :)

LittleSkink

very happy to kick this off - is there a way to create an editable table or something on this forum that I / others can update?

Obviously Covid has affected things quite significantly, and continues to do so. It is entirely possible that clubs will be reluctant / unable to accept visitors in 2021 even if it their website says they used to

Obviously Open Shoots are a different thing also

Here is what I know so far about what you might call day visitors in the areas I frequent. Please also be clear, mostly this data is from publicly available sources, no club has agreed to their data going here * :

* that asterisk is there so (i) I dont get banned for breaching forum rule I dont know about, or (ii) I dont upset any club I would like to shoot at, or (iii) I dont add to the stress of already over stretched volunteers trying to organise their clubs in difficult times

** I did initially put up all the clubs on my list (about a dozen), but have edited this table to only include clubs who appear to have a definitive statement one way or the other. Still waiting on email replies from other clubs

ClubApprox locationDataDay visitors?
North Lakes ArchersPenrith, CumriaMay 2021 / websiteMembership is currently full
Pennington ArcherysNewby Bridge, CumbriaMay 2021 / websiteVisitors welcome - pay on the day. Meet Sundays 1 to 4
Tavistock ArchersTavistock, DevonMay 2021 / websiteVisitors welcome - you join club as occasional member for nominal fee and pay per shoot. Meet Tuesday eve / Friday eve /Sunday morn

Last edited:

wully

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
So what’s the deal with NFAS if you are AGB or IFAA member? Post #2 sounds like a whole load of hoops to jump through?

FWIW I think the multiple cliques/ governing bodies /flavours in archery are stupid, divisive and more than a little sad...

bobnewboy

So what’s the deal with NFAS if you are AGB or IFAA member? Post #2 sounds like a whole load of hoops to jump through?

FWIW I think the multiple cliques/ governing bodies /flavours in archery are stupid, divisive and more than a little sad...
Its the same as for anyone else:
- pay a small amount for membership,
- read, understand and follow the rules,
- prove you are a competent archer,
- prove you are safe archer,
- enjoy.

If you are an experienced archer, study the rules and you will easily pass your assessment. Then, as a Full member, you can take part in full competitions at any club. Surely that's no more than AGB would expect of it's members?

What are AGB and IFAA, if not multiple governing bodies?

LittleSkink

as I see it sports governing bodies can be about exclusion, about control, about power - but actually target and field archery are different enough in practice that some sort of orientation esp about safely rules and etiquette is important. And then there is the difference around scoring / record keeping (and permitted equipment) which is very different for each discipline

Personally I dont mind joining 2 different associations and being treated as a novice until I prove competent / safe, after all its probably not my life I put at risk if I mess up.

It is frustrating this year (and last) with Covid mind, as we really want to do NFAS Field Archery but none of the clubs I have spoken to are able to help us "prove competent" so we dont have approved status, so we cant go to any clubs yet. Not sure why that would be as AGB seem to have helped clubs adapt to new rules really quickly, my own club has been running beginner course for a couple of months now

Last edited:

Geophys2

AIUK Saviour
Over all of the periods during the Covid restrictions when archery has been allowed, I have been very busy running 'conversion' courses for AGB archers who wanted to shoot NFAS field, and for lapsed NFAS archers coming back to the sport. I have signed over more than a dozen since the crisis started, with more booked to take part. Before signing them off I have to be happy that they are capable of taking part and understanding the NFAS rules and etiquette in an open shoot with other archers, and that they are safe to shoot round our woods.

We also have a long waiting list for beginners courses and will be putting 24 through it later in the year.

wully

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Its the same as for anyone else:
- pay a small amount for membership,
- read, understand and follow the rules,
- prove you are a competent archer,
- prove you are safe archer,
- enjoy.

If you are an experienced archer, study the rules and you will easily pass your assessment. Then, as a Full member, you can take part in full competitions at any club. Surely that's no more than AGB would expect of it's members?

What are AGB and IFAA, if not multiple governing bodies?
Do you not need a level of competence to get an AGB membership?

bobnewboy

Do you not need a level of competence to get an AGB membership?
I’m sure you do. But in the case of an AGB archer joining NFAS, that archer needs to understand the differing safety rules, style rules and etiquette required to shoot in the NFAS. They are all part of the competence required.

wully

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I’m sure you do. But in the case of an AGB archer joining NFAS, that archer needs to understand the differing safety rules, style rules and etiquette required to shoot in the NFAS. They are all part of the competence required.
What about AGB members who only shoot field? Or IFAA members? Do NFAS do it differently?

What are the etiquette requirements for NFAS? I’m intrigued.

Geophys2

AIUK Saviour
What about AGB members who only shoot field? Or IFAA members? Do NFAS do it differently?

What are the etiquette requirements for NFAS? I’m intrigued.
There are a lot of differing rules between AGB and NFAS. I spent many years shooting AGB field including GB representative shooting at WA events and I also ran a large AGB field archery club. When I moved to an area with mainly NFAS clubs, I had to take a course in NFAS shooting to get full NFAS membership, which I was happy to do and found it very educational and useful. I now run the conversion courses for my NFAS club.

I suggest you go to the NFAS website and download the rules and you'll see that there are a lot of differences with AGB field.0

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
My AGB membership definitely “fast tracked” me (and my son) in becoming full NFAS members. Total beginners had to take six weeks of training. We did about two.

Riceburner

My AGB membership definitely “fast tracked” me (and my son) in becoming full NFAS members. Total beginners had to take six weeks of training. We did about two.
I think I did a year in AGB (when I restarted shooting) before prioritising NFAS (kept up the AGB membership for winter indoor practising though. ) :D