Stiffening or weakening A/C/Es without cutting

Duss

Just in case you have to stiffen or weaken a set of (expensive) A/C/Es and do not want or cannot cut them or lenghten them (more difficult).

If you are using 100-grain piles wou might have two choices. Using the 120-110-100 cut down to 100 or the full-length 100-90-80.

If you install the full-length 100-90-80 pile you will have a much stiffer arrow than with the cut down 120-110-100 pile and your total arrow length shall be reduced by 1/4" but will still have the same tube length.

The reason is the internal tail length of the insert making the tube stiffer.

Kae

The American
American Shoot
Might not the pile weight not also make a teeny weeny bit of difference?

Duss

Sure it MIGHT. But in the example given I was only supposing one would be using the same pile mass, but in a different configuration.

I would like to see a 110-100-90 type of pile weight in the A/C/E series, but it does not exist. I might one day decide to take a dozen of 120-110-100 and machine their business end to make them into 110-100-90.

I noticed that effect one day I wanted to play with my A/C/Es stiffness and I had tried 120, 110 and 100 grain piles, all coming from the same type of 120-110-100 piles. It made almost no difference. The reason was that the change in insert length was cancelling the change in mass.

That may also explain why I have heard many A/C/E users complain that they could not tune their set of A/C/Es

simon m

Ironman
What he means is you want bendyer arrows but the piles must be 100grn try the next size up cut down to 100.

less insert means another 1/2 inch of shaft to bend freely.

Duss

Thanks Simon,

We may also see the same behaviour in X10s with the huge difference in the pile material between the stainless steel and tungsten piles

SLOWHAND

I've tried it and you are quite right. An 80-100 grn pile at 100grn makes the arrow stiffer than a 100-120 grn pile at 100grn. But it's not just the fact the there is more insert in the arrow with the 80-100grn pile. The external bit of the 100-120 grn pile is quite a lot longer making the overall length of the arrow greater and the FOC greater.
The choice of nock (pin nocks,Beiter nocks, G-nocks) and fletchings can also have a slight effect on arrow tune, the heavier the back end of the arrow is the stiffer it will shoot.

Duss

Unfortunately a change in FOC, unless huge, would not make a difference in stiffness. In this case the FOC does not change THAT much