Vanes

rfd

Supporter
Supporter
Looking to set up some shafts for a barebow cheap kit - Galaxy Crescent riser & Akusta Breeze limbs - for 3D and field, using Easton 500 and 600 shafts. Back in the dim past I used Spin Wings or Kurly Vanes with good results but that was decades ago.

What are the current choices for vanes and what do y'all recommend?

Thanx & Cheers.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I use Bohning Impulse Vanes on the strength of them being well-nigh indestructible. Apart from one particularly vicious piece of backstop netting on one butt at a local club they survive anything.

Apart from that one feature they're pretty similar to other vanes IMHO.

David

rfd

Supporter
Supporter
Thanx for your input David.

Anyone using tape on vanes such as Spin Wings and their like?

Stretch

Thanx for your input David.

Anyone using tape on vanes such as Spin Wings and their like?
You can’t go wrong with original spin wings - still what most Koreans shoot.

I like the Korea Archery Jet6 vanes and the new version is a much better price. They seem to be a bit of a marmite product for some but I have haven’t had any issues. Shame most UK dealers stock 1.75” which is too short for long arrows - the 2” version in my opinion is better and close to a 1.75” spin wing for working part of the fletch. (They have tags front and back for taping). Plenty of medals won with these including the Tokyo Olympic men’s gold.

Spider Vanes Soft 1.8” (white only) is pretty good. I’ve had these working well in some setups. The stiffer version is OK too but any clearance issue and they are confetti. Obviously Mr Ellison likes these and bounces between the 1.8” and the 1.5”.

Eli vanes are loved by some - personally I hated them. My arrows did weird things at longer distance with these. (32” x10).

Haven’t tried Gas Pros.

Problem I’d see is that barebow if string walking means tuning compromises, some of those compromises might lead to clearance issues. A curled vane has a bigger profile to have clearance issues with. Any type of spin vane will be toast if you have clearance issues (Eli probably the toughest of the ones I shot).

Stretch

rfd

Supporter
Supporter
Thanx Stretch, good scoop.

Another riser on the way, Gillo GT, love getting back into archery and this time it's the barebow game. :)