Limbs Which SF Limbs to go for

Hi All,

I've been using SF Axiom + limbs for the last year or so (only been doing archery for year and a half) and am looking to upgrade limbs soon. I'm using an SF Forged + riser and quite like the Axiom + limbs so would like to stick with SF. Does anyone have advice on which model to go for? I've seen pretty good reviews for the SF Elite Carbon Foam but are they worth ?150 or so and how do they compare to the Elite Fibre Foam at ?90?

Unfortunately I haven't won the lottery yet so money is an issue - therefore am not looking to plow in lots for a new pair of limbs.

Thanks in advance.

Lugg Valley Archer

Dhansak

Hi Lugg Valley Archer

I was in your situation about 6 months ago.

I'm afraid I can't help with your question directly as I haven't used both types of limbs you mentioned. However I changed from Axiom+ to the Elite Fibre foams - and I love them!

I had reached the point that I thought I had found my sensible draw weight threshold with the axioms. Then I got lucky and had the chance to try out the foam limbs. They were 4 pounds heavier than the axioms (I would never consider jumping that amount in the normal course of events), but I thought I'd just see how they felt. They were smoother and easier to draw than the Axioms. I just hadn't realised how much stacking was happening with the old limbs (28.5" draw length). I ended up buying the Fibre foams and have been comfortably shooting them since with no regrets.

I lack the experience and expertise to say how much improvement the carbon limbs may be over the fibre foam, or whether the shot process would feel subjectively different etc. All I can report is that I found the the latter to be an excellent upgrade.

I can only hope your are within striking distance of a shop that stocks both models so can test drive them!

Good Luck!

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Lugg Valley Archer

I was in your situation about 6 months ago.

I'm afraid I can't help with your question directly as I haven't used both types of limbs you mentioned. However I changed from Axiom+ to the Elite Fibre foams - and I love them!

I had reached the point that I thought I had found my sensible draw weight threshold with the axioms. Then I got lucky and had the chance to try out the foam limbs. They were 4 pounds heavier than the axioms (I would never consider jumping that amount in the normal course of events), but I thought I'd just see how they felt. They were smoother and easier to draw than the Axioms. I just hadn't realised how much stacking was happening with the old limbs (28.5" draw length). I ended up buying the Fibre foams and have been comfortably shooting them since with no regrets.

I lack the experience and expertise to say how much improvement the carbon limbs may be over the fibre foam, or whether the shot process would feel subjectively different etc. All I can report is that I found the the latter to be an excellent upgrade.

I can only hope your are within striking distance of a shop that stocks both models so can test drive them!

Good Luck!

dv24

I'm with Dhansak, also have the fibre foams at a settled weight, very happy with them - fast limbs for a decent price. Though if you shoot both, will be the only really way to tell if the carbon foam limbs suit you better.

4d4m

I've had the fibre foam limbs for a year now; first set of limbs in first bow. I really like them, although I haven't got much experience of others to compare them with! Mine are long limbs for 70" bow and draw to 33" without stacking appreciably. They're also pretty fast. They're only rated at 30lbs @28" (I'm pulling 41 on them) but my telegraph pole length ACEs with 120 gn piles are coming out at 190 fps.

Looking to upgrade soon and go up a few pounds, so am interested to try the SF carbon limbs out, ideally back to back with the fibre foam.

Edited to add: I also have a Forged+ riser.

Hi all,

Thank you for the feedback. I wish I was closer to a supplier to try both out, unfortunately it's a slog to get there and back so was hoping to use the good old online shopping system. Dhansak mentions stacking of limbs - is this more likely to happen with a shorter draw length (I have a draw length of 30")?

- - - Updated - - -

Hi all,

Thank you for the feedback. I wish I was closer to a supplier to try both out, unfortunately it's a slog to get there and back so was hoping to use the good old online shopping system. Dhansak mentions stacking of limbs - is this more likely to happen with a shorter draw length (I have a draw length of 30")?

adrianms

I started out with 70" Kaya K1 32lb GF limbs (30" arrows through the clicker & 36lb) indoors. After moving outdoors I wanted to up my poundage & get acc arrows for hitting 80yd boss.
Bought the SF Elite carbons (actually foam, gf & carbon build) & am getting 40lb@30" on 36lb limbs.Personally I can't fault them! from day one my scores improved (only a couple of points to be fair)
As a BTW I replaced the SF button for a Shibuya & scores went up by more than the change of limbs. My SF button was pretty "gritty" in action from day one, so a cheap worthwhile upgrade I'd recommend.

- - - Updated - - -

I started out with 70" Kaya K1 32lb GF limbs (30" arrows through the clicker & 36lb) indoors. After moving outdoors I wanted to up my poundage & get acc arrows for hitting 80yd boss.
Bought the SF Elite carbons (actually foam, gf & carbon build) & am getting 40lb@30" on 36lb limbs.Personally I can't fault them! from day one my scores improved (only a couple of points to be fair)
As a BTW I replaced the SF button for a Shibuya & scores went up by more than the change of limbs. My SF button was pretty "gritty" in action from day one, so a cheap worthwhile upgrade I'd recommend.

Hi Adianms, thanks for the feedback. It's interesting to note that the button increased your score more than the limbs. Are you using an SF riser and was the button one that came with it? Was shooting indoors last night and found I'm having a problem with the arrow rest (think I need screw thread on it as the philips screw is coming loose).

adrianms

All SF! Premium riser, carbon Elite limbs, carbon Elite sights & carbon Elite V-bar. I have just bought a SF Forged riser in black to match the rest of my setup (will be setting the bow up this weekend ready for indoors Monday night)
Yup my button came with the riser when I bought my original setup almost two years ago. Shibuya button is so much smoother-so probably the reason why arrows are more consistent.
Every nut & bolt on my equipment is thread locked. I learnt that lesson very early when my original Cartel sight shook itself apart after a couple of ends (My Elite sights were my 1st upgrade, the Cartel sights were just too lightweight for the job)

Desert-Rat

interesting to read about the SF Elite Carbon/Foams. My partner and i are looking at these for our first set after finishing our beginners course and off next week to get some. However coming in at the same price where we are going are the Premium Plus Carbon limbs. Are these worth considering as well?

I've also come across the SF Premium Plus Carbon but am still slightly confused on the various SF limb compositions and their corresponding prices. It looks like the Premium Plus falls between the Fibre Foam and Carbon Foam in price. Is it worth getting those or splashing out slightly more on the Carbon, or do I get Fibre Foam because there's negligible difference in performance. So many questions.

Desert-Rat

Centreshot in the Malverns have both the Elite (fibre/foam) and the Premium + Carbon (carbon/wood) at the same price and within my budget. The official SF site has the Premium + carbons as 30 euro more on the RRP. So will give them both a try next week. Also am looking at the KAP Wimstom II limbs. ?16 cheaper than the other two.

Centreshot isn't a million miles from me. If possible are you able to post some feedback on how you got on (I know different limbs suit different people but it would be useful to have another opinion from someone who's tested them)

Desert-Rat

I will pop a newbie review on. Will be first limbs. Not sure if risers matter but they will be going on a Forged Plus and a Merlin Elite. Hoping to try all 3 I mentioned as they are in the sub 100 quid bracket.

Thanks Desert-Rat. If it helps, I use a forged plus riser (have done for about a year) and have got on well with it. I tried an entryish level hoyt and a mybo (I think these are Merlin archery cheapos) riser and got on best with the forged plus. Advice I had was to concentrate on getting a good riser as this will most likely last year a good few years (or as long as you want) without needing to be changed. I actually went for SF Axiom + limbs as they were a good price for what you get as a newbie archer.

Desert-Rat

Just an update. Tried various limbs in the shop including the very nice SF Elite Carbon Foams. They were just too expensive for a first set. As much as people say you will change them in the first 6 months the guy at Centreshot said you may not need to. My partner is very happy at 30lb as she has an old neck injury. I went for 34lb and that will hit 70 metres no probs with ACCs when we move outside next year. So with that in mind we decided on a bit more of an expensive first set of limbs and went for the SF Premium + Carbons. They will easily do us for the first year and felt really nice to draw. As the man said in the shop if you're hitting the target well and getting good grouping and scores then why move to higher poundage. Everything can be fine tuned. I cannot see myself going much near 40lb as 34lb felt so comfortable. I may go near 38 in a year and if that gets me 100 metres accurately then i will be happy.

blakey

Just an update. Tried various limbs in the shop including the very nice SF Elite Carbon Foams. They were just too expensive for a first set. As much as people say you will change them in the first 6 months they guy at Centreshot said you may not need to. My partner is very happy at 30lb as she has an old next injury. I went for 34lb and that will hit 70 metres no probs with ACCs when we move outside next year. So with that in mind we decided on a bit more of an expensive first set of limbs and went for the SF Premium + Carbons. They will easily do us for the first year and felt really nice to draw. As the man said in the shop if you're hitting the target well and getting good grouping and scores then why move to higher poundage. Everything can be fine tuned. I cannot see myself going much near 40lb as 34lb felt so comfortable. I may go near 38 in a year and if that gets me 100 metres accurately then i will be happy.
I reckon you can't go far wrong with SF Premium Carbons for a starter limb. They're very good value. We have a few sets being shot at our club. One of our Juniors has shot national records with them. :)

adrianms

I spent my 1st 6 months of archery indoors on 32lb limbs (36lb 30" arrows through the clicker) But as soon as I got outdoors & was shooting more arrows. A) I got fitter & B) my poundage & arrows were not enough for a boss at 80yds.
Result was stronger limbs (36lb & 40lb draw) & ACC arrows. Once you get outdoors, you shoot more arrows & with more time you shoot more arrows & get stronger.
By the end of the summer my archery coach was saying I needed to up my poundage again! Wound the limbs in a couple of turns. But now I'm indoors my fitness level has dropped off a bit as only shooting twice a week. EG shot 80+ arrows. Monday night with my bow wound up to 42lb, by the last dozen arrows I was getting the shakes. Going to back the limbs back to 40lb for tonight.
Note to self-I'm 55yo, I'm not in competition for the Olympics or a WR score. (BTW-PB 565 indoors)