can really stiff arrows be tuned?

Martin Heelis

Ironman
I have some SkyArt arrows that I think might be 1-2 spine groups too stiff. Can these be made to fly reasonably straight or is it a lost cause? The arrows are going in at about a 20 degree sideways angle (point to the left) and no matter what I do that does not change.

ps. shot out of my recurve.

Bald Eagle

Big Shot, there's always a payoff when tuning arrows, if he puts ligter piles in he'll be back where he started! If he tunes them with heavier piles but loses distance, then he'll either have to wind his bow up or get the next spine down in arrow.

G

GuardianAngel

Big Shot, there's always a payoff when tuning arrows, if he puts ligter piles in he'll be back where he started! If he tunes them with heavier piles but loses distance, then he'll either have to wind his bow up or get the next spine down in arrow.
Stick with compound...simples!

backinblack

Whether it's an issue depends on what you are using them for. I am shooting a set of arrows about a spine and a half too stiff currently which group fine together. They require a bit a a tweak of windage at a change of distance but as I'm only shooting them indoors it isn't much of an issue and will go away when I climb back up the draw weights ahead of the outdoor season.

You could also try losing any pin nocks and move to lighter fletchings which will perhaps weaken the dynamic spine a bit.

Regards,
Backinblack

Desbob

All the following tweeks (if possible with your setup) will help to weaken your stiff arrows;

winding up your bow poundage (you will not hold as steady)
heavier piles (makes arrows heavier so you lose range)
lighter nocks (reduces rear impact protection)
faster (lighter) string material (if your current string is out of the Ark)
tied nock point (lighter so faster)
higher brace height (less cast)
increased draw length (if your draw length has room for improvement)
reduced spring tension on button (wont work on anything but minor spine adjustments)

However, even if this gets your arrows 'spined in' they will still never perform as well as arrows that are right for your bow because you are moving away from optimum setup with each tweek.

Best way to adjust your arrows is to Ebay them and get some new ones now you know what spine you need. You could spend months frustrating yourself but you are going to spend the money one new arrows eventually so you may as well have them now and have done with it.