giving up archery

narrowboat

Well after a lot of thought i have decided to give up archery,the main reason for this is club politics what a pain in the bum,i have listed most of my gear on fleabay and a lot more to come,i feel gutted that it has come to this , i have made a lot of good friends on the way who i intend to keep intouch with i shall still pop into the pub where we meet after a shoot to say hello.i dont even know why i am posting this on here but it has made me feel a bit better putting it on the screen.

Kae

The American
American Shoot
It's a sad day to lose a much valued archer especially to something such as club politics.

All the best to you in the future and I hope we can still chat sometime.

Kae.

narrowboat

That would feel like betraying my club,and i know that sounds stupid,i am going to have a long restbite and see how i feel in the future

Munsterman

There is always field archery. I can understand that you may not feel comfortable moving to our club given the recent history but you should not let the politics push you out of archery completely.

pHz

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
you know what id say to you so no point in posting it here

suffice to say - cancel those auctions and get your #### down that field !

(hell - just pay your fees and resign your committee position and shoot 'off-peak' to avoid all the crap stuff)

slainte :weepy: rob

pHz

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
on the other hand ...

... i might be able to pick up a bargain

/me heads over to ebay

slainte :raspberry rob

not dead yet

Ironman
That would feel like betraying my club,and i know that sounds stupid,i am going to have a long restbite and see how i feel in the future

for pete's sake man pull yourself together. archery is 90 % politics at club level there's always some club idiot, i'm sorting mine out at a meeting tomoz.

get your gear off e bay. tell your club why your changing clubs, and get back into it..

if you didn't feel strongly about your archery you wouldn't have posted this thread.

you'll always have friends in archery circles, trust me i wind up my fair share but they get to know ya.

its a small world is archery but its spread all over the country.

your archery colleague
pete North Wales

J

John (OSF)

Been there, and can imagine how you're feeling, it's a sad fact that archery has more than it's fair share of little hitlers and when a few band together things can get very grim indeed.

Before you walk away please remember that it only takes 3 to start another club

J

jedijess

I know how you are feeling i have had a huge break from all things archery for personal reasons, can't wait to start my beginners course now.
Maybe a break will make you fall back in love with the sport and then possibly it would be worth putting up with the club politics.

Jess x

Tropicalshot

surely quiting archery would be a betrayal of your club as well?

like others have posted if differences cant be sorted out at your club level then look at other clubs, combine the two clubs travel to each club on alternate weekends, but to give up completly would benefit noone except the person who you always beat on the scoreboard.

cornish george

surely quiting archery would be a betrayal of your club as well?

like others have posted if differences cant be sorted out at your club level then look at other clubs, combine the two clubs travel to each club on alternate weekends, but to give up completly would benefit noone except the person who you always beat on the scoreboard.
Could'nt have put it better myself, quitting just allows the politics to win, and thats never a good result, just find a club you like and join them.

T101

don't know you, don't know your club, but its your archery thats important, if u love it, never quit, especially coz of some muppets.

the right club can make all the difference, leaving a club is not a betrayal if they r more concerned with politics than enjoying this great sport. even tell them why if u choose 2 leave, it may make them c some sense. good luck

King Custard

Oh Tim..quitting?
well thats up to you feller...but before you do - could you please let me know of the best clubs around your area ( and the ones to avoid) and why.
I'm probably moving up that way soon and the 200 mile round trip to shoot for/with my local club is gonna be out of the question.

I was kinda hoping to get some local knowledge from you...about which clubs would be the least political cos that really winds me up...the most fun...yet takes their competitive archery seriously. you now which clubs have good coaching, club houses, subsidised bars, plenty of equipment, their own ranges and stuff like that. If you wouldn't mind, would you tell me which club near you you'd advise me to join?

many thanks...
oh...and maybe I'll see you there sometime?

pHz

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
thought friskney had you all lined up KC ?

or are you moving a bit further south than that now ?

(if you want serious answers to those questions - PM me with the area youre looking at and ill pass on what i know)

and hmmmnnn ...

ive hesitated about posting further in this thread but think i need to say something since the club tim is talking about is the one i belong to too

and while i know EXACTLY what tim is talking about and what has triggered this decision i would hate for anyone to take away the impression that the politics in our club overshadow everything else - while there are perhaps some issues in terms of the way some things happen (arent there at many clubs ? ) that really only DIRECTLY affects committee members (of which tim is / was one)

the main day-to-day business of the club for the vast majority of our 'normal' members (shooting (hopefully improving) and having a good time doing so) carries on either not knowing or not caring about any of the frustrating 'politics' - which is perhaps the way it should be

we will be sorry to see tim go

slainte :expressio rob

Munsterman

Oh Tim..quitting?
well thats up to you feller...but before you do - could you please let me know of the best clubs around your area ( and the ones to avoid) and why.
I'm probably moving up that way soon and the 200 mile round trip to shoot for/with my local club is gonna be out of the question.

I was kinda hoping to get some local knowledge from you...about which clubs would be the least political cos that really winds me up...the most fun...yet takes their competitive archery seriously. you now which clubs have good coaching, club houses, subsidised bars, plenty of equipment, their own ranges and stuff like that. If you wouldn't mind, would you tell me which club near you you'd advise me to join?

many thanks...
oh...and maybe I'll see you there sometime?

Depending upon where you are in cambridgeshire etc., the club locations can be found at the Cambs archery association site.

King Custard

Web sites are great- as are maps etc

but there's nothing like local knowledge and insider info!

actually I'll be based in Lincs- my geography's not too hot...is that Cambs?

Suddenly became important as I'm moving to Stamford Next Week!

Munsterman

Web sites are great- as are maps etc

but there's nothing like local knowledge and insider info!

actually I'll be based in Lincs- my geography's not too hot...is that Cambs?

Suddenly became important as I'm moving to Stamford Next Week!
Yes, Peterborough is cambs but only just. Living in Stamford (lucky you), you will be spoiled for choice as it is convenient for clubs in the Peterborough area, plus Silverspoon in Spalding and a few in Leicestershire & Rutland CAA

King Custard

yup- seems to be the heart of archery-club-land..
just too spoilt for choice!

and everyone seems so nice up there - I'll never fit in- haha