Homemade boss question

Soulwax

So I've put together a boss in a field, six bales of straw stacked up, three high and two deep.

Most arrows are stopped just fine, but occasionally one will poke out the other side.

So I was wondering, is there something I could put down the middle, to stop the arrows going too far through?

These were shot from about 30m with a 32lb recurve.

Thanks!

20140531_130602 by Adam Browning, on Flickr

20140531_131322 by Adam Browning, on Flickr

20140531_131804 by Adam Browning, on Flickr

ShaunD

Yes, you could use almost anything that was at hand that wouldn't break or bend the arrows, e.g. old carpet cut to size, rubber mat, even thick cardboard (would take quite a few layers). I even used old clothes stuck between two layers of carpet once.

Just remember that after a bit of use the arrows will penetrate deeper due to wear.

D

Deleted member 7654

You need them staggered some vertical some horizontal. It's the gaps between the bales that let the arrows pass right through.
I'd suggest a vertical side by side at the front, that avoids any gaps at the centre, and stacked horizontally behind that (I know that 3 vertical doesn't work out as an even number of bales lengthways, but you get the idea). A couple of Hazel wands would pin them together nicely (or rope 'em round)
Del

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
The groundsman at our club used to give us the empty plastic bags that the fertiliser came in. They are strong enough to slow arrows down. Straw bales, and farmers, and plastic bags seem to go together some how, so perhaps you know of a supply????

Soulwax

Thank you all for your replies. I was down there today and my stepdad had brought a bit of chipboard along. The kind that's wood chip, rather than the type that's more sawdusty. So I've put that between the two bales and it seems to stop them well, they only pierce it by a couple of inches, if at all.

carl7

Our range uses straw bales but are highly compressed and covered with the same material bag targets are covered with to slow the water absorption and haven't had a pass through yet.

I suppose you can put a layer of polyethylene foam inbetween your bales or even on the face.