I Love Archery.

Andyt23

I started recurve archery indoors earlier this year (thinking 20 yards was a long way) and got a D class badge at the end of it (PB 526 Portsmouth).

I've enjoyed shooting outdoors so much, after some initial nerves. I've learned a lot from people around me, got my 252 badges at 30, 40, 50 and 60 yards along the way, although the 80 yards has s far proved elusive (best 232), although we have a few Saturdays left to keep trying (never say never)...

I've been shooting Long Nationals on and off (including coming 3rd at our regional Novice champs, the only competition I dared to enter) and last week I shot a PB of 474 for my third 1st class score, so I'm very happy to have got something out of the last couple of months (after failing at the 80yards 252 for 4 months).

I've helped out at competitions, got to know some great people, shot in all weather, spent far too much money and become slightly obsessed with badges for the first time since I was about ten, but I'm sure I've also become more relaxed and easier to live with in the process!

First night shooting back indoors tonight (boo) and I opened with a 554 Portsmouth! A new PB and a C Class score on the board already (just!). I hope to be brave enough to enter a few competitions indoors this season and keep the new experiences coming.

I'm so grateful to everyone at the club or in the local shop or on this forum who have helped me or just been a friend without even realising it. Archery has given me so much where before it felt like I has very little, and this is the best place I could think of to say thank you.

Your friendship and encouragement have made another archer (but of course it's me who actually shot the arrows, so I'm awesome). :cool:

ShaunD

It's been really frustrating, never could get my setup quite right after upgrading my limbs. I was using gas-pro vanes and couldn't stop the tape from being ripped off by the button (likely need slightly stiffer arrows but that'll wait 'til next year).
Still, now setup for indoors so all change.
Hope you end up competing, I find it one of the best ways to push myself to improve, also trying to get rid of the nerves by entering as many as I can, even north of the border now. Wish I had started this years ago..
Anyway, like I said, nicely done and enjoy every minute of it.

Andyt23

The perils of upgrading! I changed my limbs too - better on the whole but I do tire more quickly and have dealt with a lot of aches and pains (mostly down to bad technique I'm sure, and trying to shoot about 10 hours a week).

Scoring, I find the better I do, the more nervous I get. I scored a 118 first dozen last night and suddenly I was in pieces, the next was a nervy 104 and I never quite got my groove back - not least as I was the last one shooting and trying to rush through the last 2 dozen so people could go home. I seem to shoot on a permanent knife edge, waiting for it to go wrong rather than trusting that it's going well. Still, it all gives us hope. I'm happy with my technique at the mo, the next goal is to develop nerves of steel and I think you're right, getting out of the comfort zone may be the best thing.
I hope your set up works out for you indoors. good luck

ShaunD

My indoor set-up is nearly there (the rest is all down to me) but I'll know for sure when I next compete. As for getting nervy after a good couple of ends, my advice would be to stop looking/concentrating on the score and shoot only one arrow at a time (a lot easier said than done). Treat every shot the same, give each 100%. Don't get hung up on a bad shot, or a good shot for that matter (I have missed during a competition, and failed miserably thereafter trying to figure out what went wrong). Just shoot one arrow at a time, don't think about your previous shot as there's nothing you can do about it but if you let it, it can affect all your next shots. Now if only I could put that into practice.

Andyt23

Indeed, Once we can all control the bow, it then comes down to who can best control themselves.
I'm realising what a huge part of the game that is.