It's not silly if it works

Marcus37

Due to the weather today I did not want to take my expensive compound kit out and chance getting it all soaking wet in a down poor.
So while trying to decide what to do I grabbed my old Ragim Impala field bow. And decided I wanted to put a sight on it, so I grabbed the only spare sight I have which is a compound 5 pin field sight and off I went.

My first thought was this looks silly. and probably is not going to set up and shoot well. After a bit of fiddling around And shooting at 10 yards (just in case) I have found that it works quite well, I had to change my anchor up a bit but after about 2 dozen arrows it was hitting the X every time and grouping well.
I'll go back on a better less wet day and set all the 5 pins from 20 to 60 (hopefully as I'm not great with recurve) Yards and leave it set up for my wife to play with when she's in the mood.

So all in all if it works it's not silly.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I suspect it looks silly( if at all) at first because not many other people have gone down that route,yet.
When things work well and others copy, it isn't long till it's the thing to be seen with.
I made a drooping adapter for my long rod about 25 years ago. Looked odd then but now some of the top archers use one and others follow the trend.

- - - Updated - - -

I suspect it looks silly( if at all) at first because not many other people have gone down that route,yet.
When things work well and others copy, it isn't long till it's the thing to be seen with.
I made a drooping adapter for my long rod about 25 years ago. Looked odd then but now some of the top archers use one and others follow the trend.

Marcus37

It does look a little strange yes, big black lump of compound field sight on a wooden riser, it would look less strange on a metal riser and may be give me move sight picture due to slimmer thickness of said riser but I'm not planning on buying one.

I have tried to teach my wife to shoot bare bow but she just got frustrated (and lost a few of my arrows) and gave up, so may be this will be better for her. No point buying her a full Olympic set up as she only wants to shoot now and then when I get out the 3Ds at the club.

Plus I can use it should I go on a field shoot day out.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
I just find this amusing as I went out and spent three hours this evening, shooting in the rain with my compound gear! After all, I'd shoot it in the rain at a tournament! ;)

- - - Updated - - -

I just find this amusing as I went out and spent three hours this evening, shooting in the rain with my compound gear! After all, I'd shoot it in the rain at a tournament! ;)

Marcus37

I just find this amusing as I went out and spent three hours this evening, shooting in the rain with my compound gear! After all, I'd shoot it in the rain at a tournament
That is true, but it's been quite heavy rain here in and off yesterday, most tournaments would probably call rain stops play In that.