Joining Conditions?

greygoose

Hi All,
What special conditions or restrictions or limitations, does your club impose on an experienced archer if they wish to move from another club to yours?
Similarly, what of the same, if any, on an experienced archer who has dropped out for a time and then wishes to re-join your club?
Greygoose

Tom

On another 'comeback'
Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
If they are already active archers and switching clubs or looking to join us as associate members then no limitations/conditions etc (subject of course to checking they are AGB affiliated).

If they've been away from the sport for a while then we usually give them an informal assessment of competence and some one to one coaching for a short while until they get used to things again. We'll insist that they immediately re-join AGB as well.

TJ Mason

Soaring
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
American Shoot
Only special condition we impose in such cases is that they stump up the ackers! But we reserve the right to refuse or withdraw membership, in case the person turns out to be an undesirable.

simon m

Ironman
for Returnee's

Fiver "advanced assesssment"(supervised by coaches) fee minuted at commitee so as to cover insurnace meaning they do not have to join AGB to have a couple of hours to see if they want to return.

no conditions on club referals

grimsby archer

for Returnee's

Fiver "advanced assesssment"(supervised by coaches) fee minuted at commitee so as to cover insurnace meaning they do not have to join AGB to have a couple of hours to see if they want to return.

no conditions on club referals
How does paying a fiver and putting it in the club committee minutes gain insurance?
Are you pretending its a have-a-go session, or do you know something I dont?

Hi All,
What special conditions or restrictions or limitations, does your club impose on an experienced archer if they wish to move from another club to yours?
Similarly, what of the same, if any, on an experienced archer who has dropped out for a time and then wishes to re-join your club?
Greygoose
I find the fact that you are asking this question slightly disturbing. Impression of heavy handed policing. What prompted this question?

simon m

Ironman
Basically minuted as assessment/have a go or some such(I never looked just assumed it was correct way to do it!). And it is a have a go in reality

greygoose

How does paying a fiver and putting it in the club committee minutes gain insurance?
Are you pretending its a have-a-go session, or do you know something I dont?

I find the fact that you are asking this question slightly disturbing. Impression of heavy handed policing. What prompted this question?
Hi ga,
Did you realise that you are clairvoyant?
(You probably knew I would ask that)
Greygoose

Last edited:

Bald Eagle

We don't have associate members, only full. However, any archer can shoot as a guest as many times as they wish and pay the guest fee. If they want to become a full member and a lot have, then they affilliate through our region in October.

grimsby archer

Basically minuted as assessment/have a go or some such(I never looked just assumed it was correct way to do it!). And it is a have a go in reality
Well, some might argue that its only a have a go, if you follow the gnas code of practise on have-a-go sessions, downloadable from the documents page of the gnas website.
To quote that document:

GNAS Public Liability Insurance covers ?Have-a-Go?s? and taster sessions at fetes, gymkhanas, charity events and so on, provided the GNAS Code of Practice is adhered to.
5. Only lightweight poundage beginner bows and arrows must be used. Members must not use normal target or field bows.
7. Targets must be at no more than 10 yards from the shooting line and should rest on the ground at approximately the same angle as recommended in the GNAS Rules of Shooting
So, your assessment is done at less than 10 yards, with the bosses stood on the ground and with light poundage bows?
I think your assessment stopped being a have-a-go and became an uninsured coaching session!

The session could be lesson 1 of a 1 lesson beginners course.
GNAS insurance covers upto 6 lessons of a beginners course.
Of course, if your returning archer did 6 lessons, say 5 years ago, does that make this session lesson 7?

greygoose

Well, some might argue that its only a have a go, if you follow the gnas code of practise on have-a-go sessions, downloadable from the documents page of the gnas website.
To quote that document:

So, your assessment is done at less than 10 yards, with the bosses stood on the ground and with light poundage bows?
I think your assessment stopped being a have-a-go and became an uninsured coaching session!

The session could be lesson 1 of a 1 lesson beginners course.
GNAS insurance covers upto 6 lessons of a beginners course.
Of course, if your returning archer did 6 lessons, say 5 years ago, does that make this session lesson 7?
Hi GA,
If the prospective archer wishing to join from another club, had their GNAS number, or a lapsed member wishing to rejoin still had theirs (even though no payments had been made for some time). Do you know if this would have any bearing on the insurance cover during any shooting assessment that may be imposed, up until such time that the club subscription was payed (when coverage would definitely commence), or any other aspects come to that?
Does this make sense?
Greygoose

grimsby archer

Hi GA,
If the prospective archer wishing to join from another club, had their GNAS number, or a lapsed member wishing to rejoin still had theirs (even though no payments had been made for some time). Do you know if this would have any bearing on the insurance cover during any shooting assessment that may be imposed, up until such time that the club subscription was payed (when coverage would definitely commence), or any other aspects come to that?
Does this make sense?
Greygoose
Do I know? Nope, I'm as clueless as the next guy (or girl)
Essentially, gnas insurance seems to cover 3 groups:
(1) members of the public at have a go sessions (complying with the code of practise)
(2) Beginners prior to becoming members of the Society for a maximum of their first six lessons.
(3) members
SAP1 is quite specific.

so my interpretation is that a non member having a "shooting assessment" before becoming a member would not be covered.

At my club, we have (rightly or wrongly) offered non gnas members a six session "trial" that was technically a light touch beginners course. It is a beginners course in that the potential member is under the close guidance of a qualified coach, but we call it a "trial" to avoid offending the sensibilities of someone who may be a very competant archer. Define a "beginner" anyone?

If someone says "I want a beginners course" who are we to say "but are you a beginner?"
If someone says "I am a competant archer, here is my expired gnas number but I want to come and shoot some arrows without paying my gnas subs" thats a different kettle of fish

mk1

It's an X
Supporter
I may get shot down in flames for this, but judging by the wide "interpretation" of the gnas membership rules with regard to insurance I don't think so.

Get a cheque from them up front as required and fill out the forms; if anything untoward happens you're all covered; if they decide not to return within a reasonably short length of time and let you know you'll not have sentthe forms off yet, after all you're not going to be putting them in the post the very next day are you?

simon m

Ironman
Certainley some interesting interpretations of the rules here.

I do not think our established senior club members & coaches would be doing it this way unless they believed the insurance was valid. How long it is since they checked this method was OK is anyone's guess. I rejoined the sport in this manner & the session is just to check you know/remeber the safety aspects in reality. Surely expecting a rejoining ex archer to do six two hour "light" assessments would put some off?. Dunno really interesting topic guys!

grimsby archer

Certainley some interesting interpretations of the rules here.
I do not think our established senior club members & coaches would be doing it this way unless they believed the insurance was valid.
If your talking about the fake "have-a-go" scenario, dont take my word for it, download the doc from gnas and read it for youreslf

Surely expecting a rejoining ex archer to do six two hour "light" assessments would put some off?.
To be clear, we only ever did this with archers coming from unknown backgrounds and the "light touch" assessment involved a coach befriending the potential member and shooting with them for a while. "Assessment" was never mentioned. The principal was a trial, as much for the potential member to get to meet us.

As for returning members:
Just get them to pay their gnas upfront!
Why do people expect a freebie as a returning member?