knife makeing

Barrief

I do leather work if anyone is in need of a sheath for their knives.
Not only that You know your steel :) Geoff Ravens Eye is quite right about 440c, (make sure it is C ) a tried and tested.

I am useless at leatherwork so maybe you could help with My next project, a damascus hand forged I am making for a friend, it is incorporating a pewter cigar ring, won't be until I get My new workshop set up though which will be a couple of months time.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Hi, I did not see some recent posts until now.Sorry.
I have tried a strop, but I think it might be the D2 making my life difficult.
I see the Lynx comes in a folding knife "The boar" but uses Sandvik stainless steel. Perhaps the Lynx would be better???

@Geoff

N695 is give or take, 440C, decent edge, decent corrosion resistance, easy to sharpen.

K720 is give or take O2, good edge, good corrosion resistance, OK to sharpen

12C27 is a very, very good steel. Corrosion resistant, tough, holds a wicked edge.

14C28N is reportedly an upgrade to 12C27.

I'll say it again, all of these steels are good, I've worked with 440C and O2 and can say they're great steels, I have a knife in 12C27 and its also cracking.

They're all tough, fairly easy to sharpen, and you can get them like razors, choose the design you like most and you'll be happy with any of them.

Barrief

Sorry got My names Mixed up Kieren!! I don't multi task well..At My age I should no better than to try :O

@ Geoff , the Boar was TBS flagship blade for quite a while and I seem to remember you could choose from a number of steels for both the Boar and the Lynx in folding or fixed format.. yes you can N695 which is really quite hard, and would hold its edge, once you get it where you want it K720 which is very tough.....12c27 is more compromising, and Kieren may know better than me, (I have never tried it), is nearer to 440c in its performance, perhaps a little more resistant to corrosion. Bottom Line though..whichever blade you get a good sharpening tool is essential unless you are one of these few people who can get any blade scalpel sharp, and then they turn around and say 'its easy, you just feel the edge" :)

Barrief

oops... and Kieren did..

@ Mad Wally very nice...

I can't wait to get My workshop up and running to do My own first lost material blade

Never worked with 12C27, just know my locker holds a great edge and I can get it scary sharp on a stone or with a lansky, also never managed to get it to rust despite a decade of abuse.

@barrie, I learned to sharpen on a stone and bought a lansky because it means I can try out different angles of micro-bevel, I tend to use the lansky to put in a bevel on new knives or on abused ones, from then on I'll use a stone because I'm one of those annoying people! haha

I completely agree with Barrie though, any of these steels will be great!

Personally I'd probably go for 12C27 or 14C28N for a folder because of its ease of maintenance.

For a fixed blade, either of them or O2 probably.

Barrief

@ Kieren Grrrrr :p

Seriously I can maintain My knife in the field with My stone, enough to take the hairs of My arm, which amuses My son no end, but that crisp, superb edge, which I think is what Geoff was referring to: No way can I ever get that on a stone the old fashioned way, and Hats off to those who can :D