Mahogany for Bow Building

albatross

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I have a quantity of well seasoned (+ 40 year old laboratory worktop) mahogany boards about 1" X 9". Could I use this to make a longbow if it was backed with bamboo? Or will it be too brittle?

Thank you

Dennis

D

Deleted member 7654

I don't think it is suitable. You should ask on Primitive Archer (PA) there are many more bow builders on there.
On the other hand the term 'Mahogany' tends to get badied about willy nilly for a variety of tropical hardwoods.
I don't really do much in the way of laminates...
A good trick is to test it by making a miniature, say 1/2 or 1/3 scale. it's a lot less work than a full sized bow and can actually perform remarkably well. It will give you a feel for the wood.
Del

PS I just searched on PA and found these posts about Mahogany..
"... None will work. It's a bad combination of too low a density, and the short irregular fiber which makes up the wood.."
Another post
"I think all of the asian variety mahaganies are not useful as bow woods. There are some south american varieties which are not true mahagany that can make decent bows. Santos mahagany, honduran mahagany are two that I have had some success with but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy any of it. ."

Bald Eagle

I had a triple laminate Ron Palmer, 70 lb longbow, the middle lam was mahogany! I sold it on and it's still going strong! The other lam's were osage and hickory.

D

Deleted member 7654

I had a triple laminate Ron Palmer, 70 lb longbow, the middle lam was mahogany! I sold it on and it's still going strong! The other lam's were osage and hickory.
The key there is it's the middle lam, which does less work and is also supported on either face.
Del

albatross

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Thank you for all the replies. I guess I'll have make something for my wife with it instead!

Dennis

D

Deleted member 7654

Maybe make a nice stock for a crossbow, or a riser for one of those funny bows with bolt on limbs ;)
Del

albatross

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I spoke too soon. 'She' has decided that I could make her a nice fancy headboard (instead of wasting the wood on archery stuff). Some people just do not understand!

Dennis