My First FITA

MikeD

I wonder if there is anything I can take from my scores at my first FITA (recurve) to help improve for next time?

I scored:

90m 180
70m 255
50m 241
30m 321

For 997 Total.

disbloke

MikeD said:
I wonder if there is anything I can take from my scores at my first FITA (recurve) to help improve for next time?

I scored:

90m 180
70m 255
50m 241
30m 321

For 997 Total.
Without knowing how long you have been shooting and where you are hoping to get to, overall it looks like it's your longer distances where you would need to be picking up points. For a first FITA it's not bad.

Main things are, did you enjoy it and would you do it again?

The higher scores will come with time and practice, the key thing to do is not to beat yourself up over what you score, rather to look objectively at how you shot. If the weather was near perfect for shooting this time and next time you have all the weather it's possible to get don't worry if things aren't as good as "last time".

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Looking at the totals for each distance can be useful but I find it more help to see the actual scores as recorded in your score pad. The actual scores can indicate stray arrows or sudden drop in end totals etc.

Tobytoolbag

Fonz Awardee
geoffretired said:
Looking at the totals for each distance can be useful but I find it more help to see the actual scores as recorded in your score pad. The actual scores can indicate stray arrows or sudden drop in end totals etc.
I'll second that - I used to find that I had a 'shocker' in the fourth end of every shoot & distance change - mainly due to letting the concentration waver as I relaxed into my shooting rhythm for the new distance... Now I consciously concentrate extra-hard in ends 3,4, and 5 to make sure I don't repeat the mistake...

Last edited:

MikeD

geoffretired said:
Ahhh that I didn't do. I didn't want to be concerned about scores, until it was all over.

I very much enjoyed the shoot and I think I shot better than at the York (737) I did a few weeks ago, but not easy to compare.

This is my first season shooting target archery outdoors. I first started shooting 30 years ago or so and stopped and started few times but it was always field archery (freestyle recurve).

I restarted shooting last August and by the end of the indoor season I was close to achieving C class. I have recently been getting Bowman scores for GNAS stamp rounds in practice, but that is up to a maximum distance of 60M.

I felt that at 90M my group was basically 1.2M in diameter. That is I could not see any obvious grouping, or consistency in height. I had 4 misses, one was a bit right and missed because I had the sight mark wrong and was shooting high. The other three were just bad shots (2 in one end).

At 70m I could see that I was getting reasonably consistent height and with the exception of one end that was way off to the left I was grouping with very few blacks and no whites.

50M may have been a down time after lunch and not getting back to full concentration. It was pretty poor, though I was getting good height consistency within each end. Trouble was one end would be above the gold and the next end below. I was making sight adjustments, but the result seemed to be much more that the 3 clicks I was adjusting... After about 30 sighters I was getting close... I had one wild arrow in the 2, other than that I scored blue or better.

30 M I felt I shot well. I did notice that I scored better on the ends that I shot in the second details rather than before. Arrows in the gold to aim at? I was shooting with three compound archers in the morning and two compound archers in the afternoon, when one moved to another target.

I use an open sight ring, but I think I'm not concentrating properly on the gold at 90 and 50, perhaps because the entire target is within the sight ring. Or perhaps because my eyesight is not that great.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Mike, several things strike me about your reply.
Keeping score of individual arrows can help; just don't add them to get a total if that causes a problem.
The group wandering at 50m is a common feature in people's shooting. It happens when archers can shoot good groups but are unable to get back to "normal" after collecting the arrows. The break is enough to allow changes in posture, stance and execution of the shots. The shots in one end are nearly the same as each other but not the same as the ones from the previous end.
When 90m is much worse than 70m, the cause can be arrows running out of speed. If the fletchings have too much drag, the arrows slow to the point where they run out of steam and float about. Another cause is the archer is put off by the distance, to the point where their technique deteriorates and then the snowball effect makes matters worse. The more you fail, the more you worry. The more you worry, the worse it gets etc.
50m uses a smaller face and that can have consequences for archers who are not used to the change. The target comes nearer and we expect better scores. The target is smaller so the better scores don't happen. Then some of us panic a little and the sight gets adjusted, when it's the archer who needs to adjust. I think you were right when you said you didn't get back to the routine after the long lunch break. After any break there needs to be a time you set aside to prepare for the effects of change of distance. The lunch break is longer and there is a double change(distance and target size)
These add up so require extra effort.
The sight ring is worth some experiment to find what suits you best. As for eyesight, I'm not sure. All I know is, I can't see my arrows at 20yds because of poor eyesight. I can aim at the same part of the blur and that seems to work.
I think you did the right thing by posting your thread. The advice you will receive from everyone will help you I'm sure.

MikeD

Thanks Geoff,

There is some excellent information there to think about. I do feel that it is mental game now. While my technique may not be perfect yet, the number of really bad arrows is getting less and less all every time I shoot.

I have got new arrows to try, once I get them tuned, that may be better for 90m (Cartel Triples to replace the Easton Redlines I'm shooting now).

It's good to remove eyesight from the equation, it is something that I have wondered/been concerned about. I will experiment with sight rings to see if that helps, but I now suspect that my sight ring is not an issue.

I'd be interested to hear of recommendations for a good book on competitive target archery. I have Total Archery, but that is more about technique than approach to shooting the different distance for example.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Glad there was something helpful in my post. Sometimes just talking about it is all the help we need. As for books, I have read a few but I don't think any will offer the help you requested. I'm sure there are others who can put you on the right track. There was a thread recently about books. It may be possible to find something in that.
Tenzone website may help too.

SLOWHAND

What a good question. Before you replied I was going to say that a change of arrows may be a good idea to help with the 90m score, I would personally have gone for Aces but tripples are ok as long as you have around 40# plus on your fingers, if you dont you may have problems with your long rod obscuring the target. Your 30m score was pretty respectable for a newbie so your basic technique must be good. The 90m distance is a real killer for us recurve archers since the wind/rain has a much greater effect, only the very best archers can get scores around 300 in bad weather. The only solution is to practice, practice, practice 90m whenever you can.
Dont 'over aim' at 90m, shoot with the same technique and timing as you do at the other distances. A lot of people try too hard to get the sight pin dead in the middle at this distance, as a result timing and form suffers. A badly aimed shot with correct form will still be a red but a well aimed shot with bad form will be a blue or worse. Dont shoot too quickly, a lot of people shoot far too fast when they are against the clock, four minutes is bags of time to shoot six arrows, even if you have to come down/ ajust sights a couple of times. Dont rush, shoot each arrow carefully and dont be afraid to come down if it's not right, I shoot slower than most people in my club but have never been timed out.

MikeD

Slowhand I would have liked to buy ACES, but couldn't afford them and I've had bad experiences with second hand arrows so I prefer to buy new. I shoot 36lb on my fingers, but have a fairly fast setup. I hope it'll be OK. I'm still working out the best tuning for the triples, but I did shoot two at 70 M last week and it looks like there isn't much difference to the sight mark for them compared to the redlines.

I've decided to buy a titan recurve scope so I can experiment with dots, fibres and rings and aperture size to see which I find best for each distance.

wingate_52

Nice shooting Mike. As well as looking at the Titan sight, look at the Gehmann 505/Ambo iris sight with a centre dot.Simple and effective at a range of distances. You may wish to remove the dot at indoor distances though.

napolienne

Fonz Awardee
wingate_52 said:
Nice shooting Mike. As well as looking at the Titan sight, look at the Gehmann 505/Ambo iris sight with a centre dot.Simple and effective at a range of distances. You may wish to remove the dot at indoor distances though.
Just googled that - what a sight! Any idea of UK dealers/prices?

ta :)

Woodie

hi Mike I presume this was Penicuik but if it was saturday dont worry In those conditions I was down about 50 points at 90m. Evenon sundaythe wind was a bit tricky

MikeD

Woodie said:
hi Mike I presume this was Penicuik but if it was saturday dont worry In those conditions I was down about 50 points at 90m. Evenon sundaythe wind was a bit tricky
Hi Alan, no it was Sunday. I heard all about the weather on Saturday though! I don't think I'm ready for a 2-day competition yet, but I'm building up to it. I think I'll be ready after my holiday in July.

Did Ken Myles speak to you about the field shoot at Dalmore this Sunday? It is a fun competition. Shooting marked distances from about 5M to 60M. 28 targets 4 arrows at each. Anyone from Links would be more than welcome, though a 9am start might be too early for you.

wingate_52

I bought my Gehmann 505 from Surrey Guns, check out their website and order over the phone. Bet they say "not another archer" .If not in stock they will order from germany. Cost me ?51 inc p&p. Really worth it. Clear insert lenses are extra!!!

SLOWHAND

Mike, I know what it's like trying to get the money together to buy new kit, my first two sets of Aces were second hand and you're quite right being wary, not too bad if you know the person who had them and you can try them before buying. A friend of mine shoots Tripples with 36# limbs and he does stuggle a bit at the long distances if the weather isn't good.

Can't help thinking that for the cost of Tripples and a Titan you could have bought a new set of Aces. I use a pin designed for field shooting, it has a very small red dot in the centre (I like as little as possible obscuring the target), think it cost about a tenner.

MikeD

SLOWHAND said:
Can't help thinking that for the cost of Tripples and a Titan you could have bought a new set of Aces.
Busted :D

I'll hopefully get the triples tuned up in the next couple of days, then I can find out how they are for 90M.

A large part of my decision to buy triples was that I can buy individual replacements.