Self Yew

Status
Not open for further replies.

NobleKnight

Dear All!
Do anybody use self yew longbows in serious competitions in longbow class?
What are the qualities if to compare to hickory\osage lamination? I've had the e-mail conversation with Brian Mooyart from Fraternity Of Saint George and he says that modern yew is weaker than it was in medieval, and it is not possible to compete effectively against the laminate bows which shoot closer to the medieval yew than modern yew itself...

Kae

The American
American Shoot
NobleKnight said:
Dear All!
Do anybody use self yew longbows in serious competitions in longbow class?
What are the qualities if to compare to hickory\osage lamination? I've had the e-mail conversation with Brian Mooyart from Fraternity Of Saint George and he says that modern yew is weaker than it was in medieval, and it is not possible to compete effectively against the laminate bows which shoot closer to the medieval yew than modern yew itself...
Whatever the reasons, i'll never shoot with it, as a Yew bow has a very short life compared to a laminate, and I can't afford to replace a bow once a year.

English Bowman

I shot a self yew for a couple of years, won a few trophies with it and loved it, unfortunately it broke. I replaced it with a Osage / hickory laminate from Bickerstaffe, which is a much better bow. I would get another self yew bow if I could afford one, they can last for a good few years, but need more care taken with them

Daniel

stevesjem

I'm sorry, Mr Mooyaart knows nothing about shooting a longbow, especially a Yew Bow, Italian Yew is superb as is some English Yew and some american Yew.
eg. BLBS Flight record...... Self Yew Bow, Standard arrow record....Self Yew Bow..... Again Nuff said

I get so tired of seeing things written down by people who have never achieved anything and they come across as experts.
Ok i only started shooting 4 years ago, i now shoot self yew longbows up to 130lb and am the current GNAS/FITA UK unlimited class Longbow Champnio. At least when i say something it is because i have experienced it, not dreamt about it.
Sorry about the Rant

NobleKnight

Thanks for the reply... For now me and my friends can pull 90-100 quite easyly - but only for several shots... Its all right for the flight, but really hard for me to shoot target - York as example - 12 dosens 8) from such a bow...
Do You use such heavy bows for target, or just for the flight only?

Another question - where can i get the italian yew bow, what its tournament life, and what about the cost?

Thanks again...

PS where i can read about the flight records - what are they for now!

jeduffey

I shoot a self yew bow from Welchman Lonbows. I've had it for over 10 years. It shot just as well today as it did the first day that I shot it. I truly don't understand the disappointment with yew. I can understand that sometimes a specific piece will fail. That doesn't make all yew bad. As for competition, my bow does the same things, the same way, each time, every time. I am fully credited with every mistake it ever made. BTW, mine is 50# @ 27". This may seem light weight for you. I do know that Mr. Welch has made bows of 150# and 200#. The 200#er was for a long distance record.

NobleKnight

Thanks!

Congratulations on your victory Steve! Did you shoot the heavier arrows then the fellow with 50# ELB at this shoot(the one who did 315yds)?
And where i can find the info about BLBS flight shoots, standart arrow shoots?

2 Jeduffey
I hope i will see one of nice yew bows one day! I am suprised - who set up the world record on pulling the 200# ELB - Chief A.J. or Mark Stretton?

Status
Not open for further replies.