Stabilizers useful for a novice??

rogerh113

Hi,

I have an old Hoyt bow with threaded holes for stabilizers. Would getting a couple of stabilizers for the bow likely be useful or something I would notice (as an improvement)? If it is useful, I can start keeping an eye out for some for sale - it is an old Hoyt Pro Medalist t/d, so might take a while to locate some.

I realize this is a matter of opinion, and that is what I am looking for.

mk1

It's an X
Supporter
There are several stabilizer setups. The usual one these days is to use a long rod with a Vbar and side rods. Else you can have the "side" rods in the top and botton bushings with a long rod in the middle - an "in-line" set up.

As a novice it's usual not to load the bow up with all the extras as the weight in hand can get a bit much so normally you'd start with just a long rod with a light weight on the end as that will help tip the bow forward and build up from there once your technique improves. If you're in a club you'll easily find someone who has some spare bits and pieces they will let you borrow and don't be afraid to try and if you don't notice the difference or you feel it doesn't help your technique then just wait a few more weeks and try again.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
There's a school of thought, that you should start with the sort of kit that you mean to continue with (so for target/freestyle, extended sights and stabilisers). There's another which says to start with as simple a setup as is available (usually barebow).

I lean more towards the former: learn what you want to do, rather than starting with something else entirely.

But the first stabiliser recommended is a longrod, both because it lets you become accustomed to the weight, but also because it's the single most effective stabiliser available.

rogerh113

Thanks for the input. I was thinking of the original set up for the bow, per the picture below (not my bow, and not a t/d). If these stabilizers are ineffective, then I would likely just retain the bow as it is for the time being.

Attachments

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
It's not "ineffective". Any weight you add, can help (up to a point). It's "less effective". Longer rods place the weight further from the bow, which increases the effectiveness (you can use half the weight, at twice the distance from the bow, for a similar effect).
Though it's not much used any more twin rods in the top and bottom bushings formed a part of a number of different systems.

rogerh113

Thanks, it sounds that the twin rods might be helpful, although not optimal. That is fine for me.

I do understand the physics of the longer bar, but unfortunately I have a personal esthetics issue with the long bars. I find the short bars just more a natural look. No doubt you are correct about the effectiveness of the long bar.

AJBrady

Thanks, it sounds that the twin rods might be helpful, although not optimal. That is fine for me.

I do understand the physics of the longer bar, but unfortunately I have a personal esthetics issue with the long bars. I find the short bars just more a natural look. No doubt you are correct about the effectiveness of the long bar.
Due to circumstances beyond my control. I recently shot with 8" twin stabilisers on my bow compared with the usual Long rod and V-bar. It shot perfectly well.

Those on your bow are rather short and it would probably be better with longer (say 6") rods. I'm guessing from their age that they are 1/4 inch threads, whereas 5/16 is now virtually universal, so you will not find anything suitable "off the shelf". You can buy 5/16 to 1/4 adapters from proper hardware shops or suppliers of industrial fasteners. Ebay or similar is your best chance of finding older twin rods.

And you no doubt already know, but you should use Dacron strings on such an old bow rather than modern hi-performance strings.

rogerh113

Thanks for the very useful information. I will look for 'vintage' 6" rods, Hoyt rods appropriate to the bow. Fortunately not in a rush, but I am persistent. Any suggestions on places to put a 'wanted ad' for the stabilizers, or to watch (aside from eBay)?

I am aware of the need for dacron string on vintage bows, and that is what I am using. Overall a really delightful vintage experience !!!

Last edited:

Thorvald

Hi.
Now I shoot compound bow, but I actually shoots best with a short (11-12") front stabilizer. For me the long rod makes the bow feel heavier - thus I doesn't shoot as well as I do with the shorter one. So in general, I hold the bow more steady with a short rod, rather than the long one.

rogerh113

Just received a lot of vintage stabilizers / parts, which will allow me to get a feel for both single and dual setups. Taking them down to the Post Office today to weigh them as a starting point. Also got some torque flight compensators in the lot, so will throw those into the testing mix as well. Likely will not make it to the range until late next week, but it should be fun and informative.

Also got a really nice old pair of the Hoyt 'golf tee' stabilizers in the lot, but they are 1/4-20, which do not fit in the 5/16-24 holes in the bow / compensators. Looking around for some suitable (inexpensive) male female adapters so I can give these a try. Also got an older torque flight compensator at 1/4-20, so will probably just move that on to someone that has use for it.