wheelchair users in Competitions

StevoNilo

Hi,

Just wanted to ask if wheelchair users can directly compete with able bodied archers in proper competitions?
I dont use a wheelchair but how is this arranged in competitions?
I do know there are 3 classifications for wheelchair users depending on their disability.
If you know anything then please do let me know.

Thanks

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Yes, they compete as normal. No classifications apply to normal competition, but some allowances can be made for assistance (in collecting arrows, being allowed to remain on the shooting line until the whistle goes, etc. And in one case I saw, having team mates lift them and their chair onto the podium... ).
Basically, an archer in a wheelchair is just treated as an archer, in shooting terms.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
This is from the gold medal match, of the Indoor World Cup at Nimes in 2012, Marcella Tonioli vs Dani Brown (who shoots from a stool, but uses a wheelchair).

[video=youtube;x7sjsvydK9o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7sjsvydK9o[/video]

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
And something a bit more recent, Alberto Simonelli has been a regular on the Italian team for the last couple of years...

[video=youtube;zyQz-8RMIGI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyQz-8RMIGI[/video]

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
That compound ten ring looks even smaller without the recurve ten around it...

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
That compound ten ring looks even smaller without the recurve ten around it...
That's why there's talk of making a smaller compound indoor face (but using the same 10 ring so the 150/600 records can stand)... to solve a problem they caused by going for separate recurve/compound faces... even though the only archers affected will be the club level archers, who will see their averages go down as eights and sevens become easier to hit...

StevoNilo

Thanks peeps. Good to know. That's what I love about archery. It's all inclusive and the old can compete against the youngsters.

little-else

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
we have a couple of wheelchair archers and what they get in the way of allowance for their disability is a parking space near to the line, use of the first shooting point and someone to collect their arrows for them. On the minus side they get left out in the snow when we all slope off for a cup of tea in winter.