A&F String Making Jig

darthTer

Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
Ordered an A&F string making jig for the club...took delivery of it yesterday.

The club currently have an old jig that was donated by an ex-member several years ago. While it is cable of making decent strings (myself and several others have been shooting them for a couple of years), the biggest problem with it is consistency. It is covered in various pen marks for difference bows/strings with nothing else to indicate length. The end posts also either clamp down so tightly that you can't budge them at all without pliers, or they are moveable with the slightest bit of tension.

So we got the A&F one in....primarily due to the scale attached to the side, which should hopefully ensure consistent length strings.

Got it setup last night, ready to produce the goods. It's certainly a sturdy piece of kit. The main body of the thing is approx 4"x4" square metal, with a runner track down the middle. It splits in the middle for easy storage - the 2 parts are held together by 6 screws. The posts at each end are movable, but one end can be secured in place by a screw. The other end slides along the track & is locked in place using an allen key. The scale runs down one side of the jig, with a scribe on the post section to line up with the scale.

So onto the actual string making.....Excellent. Being able to apply a slight bit of tension to the string REALLY makes a difference. didn't have a string strand that drooped or sagged - all looked nice and even.

While serving the ends, I did find that the end posts were a wee bit closer together than the previous jig, but the end result was perfect.

The end posts were also a breeze to turn while doing the end loops.

After completion, I strung up my bow.....without any twists the 68" string gave me a brace height of 18cm/7" (I normally shot about 20cm). After applying a number of twists (no idea how many), I got it to the correct height.

All in all, I found the jog a breeze to work with, and the end results look great!!!!

Bald Eagle

We have the same jig in our club, great string jig, only problem, longbow strings and solo cam strings, overcome by making a "dolly" to fit in the centre to extend the jig to the correct length. Ideally, a piece of the same profile alloy, 9 feet long, would save time fitting the "dolly!!"

Bunsen

I have one of these. You can make excellent recurve strings using this jig.
I've now gone to the dark side and shoot a single cam Mathews. I have just found a dealer where you can buy an extension piece to extend the jig to cover single can compound strings. Looks like my next purchase so I can get back into making my own strings and cables.