A Real Downer

greygoose

After more than a year of not shooting, (and not posting on the Forum either), I have finally been forced to accept the fact that I will not be able to shoot again due to ever worsening shoulder and spinal problems. It makes me feel really upset to realise this (and does not do my long term depression much good either).
It feels like a hole has appeared in my life, I feel gutted.
When I can force myself to do it I will be advertising all of my gear on Ebay.

Is it acceptable to resume activity on the forum as an "outsider"? I always enjoyed the exchange of views and the banter.

Regards to All,
greygoose

Little Miss Purple

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
Have you thought about judging?? It will give you something to go for and keep you in the circles. :beer:

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
NOCO
Is it acceptable to resume activity on the forum as an "outsider"? I always enjoyed the exchange of views and the banter.

Regards to All,
greygoose
Hi GG, sorry to hear about the shoulder problem, of course it's acceptable to resume activity on the forum! There's no outsiders here :)

english_archer

Ironman
Stick around dude :) the :cupcake: and :beer: is better than anywhere else. Sorry to hear you cant shoot any more but archery still has lots to offer you LMP is right The word judge was running through my mind as I read your post,Coaching is another option or even serving on your club or county committee.

Stikphlinger

...I have finally been forced to accept the fact that I will not be able to shoot again due to ever worsening shoulder and spinal problems. It makes me feel really upset to realise this (and does not do my long term depression much good either). It feels like a hole has appeared in my life, I feel gutted...

...Is it acceptable to resume activity on the forum as an "outsider"? I always enjoyed the exchange of views and the banter...
Sorry to hear of your troubles greygoose. If you can bear to banter about what you're missing, there's no better archery banter on the web as you know. I've seen some that do shoot who can't shoot and they can post on here, so someone who could shoot but can't shoot any more has got to be welcome!

I think we all fear deep down that one dark day something will go sproing and stop us from doing what we love so much, so do keep in touch with the folks that you've shot with and all of us. Had a clubmate who was ill and couldn't shoot that turned up to all club events with their camera and took photos for the website - not like shooting, of course, but active and out in the fresh air with friends. Don't be a alone or a stranger greygoose.

All the best friend

Tropicalshot

Regards to All,
greygoose
Sorry to hear of the Injury, Have known a few now who have had to hang up the quiver,

Stick around and enjoy the shoots as a DOS or Judge, even become FITA qualified and get some travel out of it,

as the saying goes

Old Archers never die, Their Risers eventually fail.
by TS

D

Deleted member 7654

Sorry to hear of your plight.
I know some people will be horrified at the suggestion, but could you manage a crossbow? Are you into making stuff? Maybe making archery equipment, or miniatures would be possible.
I could do with another dozen arrows:muted:
All the best.
Del

Furface

Supporter
I can sympathise. I too have not shot since November with a shoulder problem, and the gap in my life over the summer has been tangible. But at least I can still hope. Judging and Coaching are the way ahead, and can be fun. Good luck - and I look forward to your continued contributions here ("Outsider"? You Goose!)

greygoose

Hi All,
Many thanks for all of the positive comments.
They are much appreciated.
I have never really liked Compound, but now who knows. I may see if I can try one out.
While an unruly teen I did design and make two crossbows which did work extremely well.

Added....
In fact they were b****y lethal.
Safety catches, what are they?
A friend at the time also made one, using a car leaf spring. It went off inadvertently and the bolt buried itself into the next door neighbors house wall just missing a painter up a ladder! Thinking about it still makes me cringe.

Now though I do not consider shooting them as archery, simply rifle shooting with a different propellant. :stirthepo
greygoose

Last edited:

Yew Selfbow

Hey Goose ..... how about a really light (30-35lb) beautifully smooth self Yew longbow.
I've got one sitting in the garage doing nothing ..free to a good home ..... PM me if you want to give it a try