broken bow

Status
Not open for further replies.

narrowboat

Hi i normaly shoot a recurve but as we have a clout comp on monday i thought i would shoot longbow with my son,so i borrowed one a nice 65lb one,i took it down the field today for a practice 8th arrow BANG bow snapped ,bent my glasses sore jaw and my nipple is killing me .So sod the longbows i will stick with a recurve thank you very much.

pHz

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
lightweight

one small setback and you give up

even zoe has a (kind of - same shape as connors grozer) longbow now - went to merlin today and bought her one for the clout and for fun

slainte :slaphappy rob

Windknot

I thought Northeners were supposed to be tough?

If it makes you feel any better- the same thing happened to me with a recurve. Well, almost. Didn't have a sore nipple after.

rohenwto

Hi i normaly shoot a recurve but as we have a clout comp on monday i thought i would shoot longbow with my son,so i borrowed one a nice 65lb one,i took it down the field today for a practice 8th arrow BANG bow snapped ,bent my glasses sore jaw and my nipple is killing me .So sod the longbows i will stick with a recurve thank you very much.
Now I may be wrong, but could be persuaded to put money on the fact that your draw is a lot longer than the owner of the bow:knockout:

narrowboat

no we are about the same,think i was just lucky:cheerful: it was only the second time i picked up a longbow to shoot ,tends to put you off a bit

dtalbot

It happens, fortunately I heard the strange noise coming from the lower lim of my ash self bow longbow and let down very quickly. Took a very close inspection to find it but sure enough, a hairline crack across the belly. that would most likely explode were it ever be taken to full draw again.

Yew Selfbow

Narrowboat.....
...sorry to hear about your bow.. did you "warm" it up properly before you started shooting?

alanesq

I have been told you should never let someone else shoot your longbow as the bow will be accustomed to the way you shoot and simply the way the other person draws it can cause it to break

I had assumed this was an old wives tale, but maybe this shows there is something in it ???

pHz

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
i think it was a deliberate attempt to nobble you for tomorrow - shoot a few decent looking ends then slyly cut a little nick in the limbs before handing the bow over to you

slainte :raspberry rob

Kae

The American
American Shoot
I have been told you should never let someone else shoot your longbow as the bow will be accustomed to the way you shoot and simply the way the other person draws it can cause it to break

I had assumed this was an old wives tale, but maybe this shows there is something in it ???
Not an old wife's tale at all.

I've taken incremental weight measurements from an unshot bow, and then the same bow after it had "learnt" a style from an archer.
It showed that the bow was perfect for there draw length but the bow stacked very quickly after it (which it didn't before).

Kae.

hawkeye

Narrowboat You are just too rough with your toys !!! Don't forget you broke your flight bow too !!

I feel sorry for your recurve - sounds like its days are numbered !! Then you will have to borrow your sons longbow then fall in love with traditional shooting and be a longbowman forever more !!

Long live the longbow !!!:stirthepo

narrowboat

Narrowboat You are just too rough with your toys !!! Don't forget you broke your flight bow too !!

I feel sorry for your recurve - sounds like its days are numbered !! Then you will have to borrow your sons longbow then fall in love with traditional shooting and be a longbowman forever more !!

Long live the longbow !!!:stirthepo
Dont say that i love my recurve,sod the longbows they hurt and you cant hit what you aim at ,they are all faulty :cheerful:

hawkeye

narrowboat be honest with yourself you having a deep down burning desire to become a proper archer and down your recurve (ooh it makes me feel sick even typing the word RECUR...... no can't finish it !!) and pick up the only thing that any archer really wants to shoot !

You have succumbed once before so you are weakening its only a matter of time now....................see you on the other side !!

Status
Not open for further replies.