Finger tab wear???

darthTer

Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
Had to replace my tab face last night since my last face lasted a whopping 19 days before ripping.

I have been using Oberon material for a few years now and normally a face last ages. There may be 2 possible reasons:

1 - Material quality has dropped
2 - I'm doing something different which is wearing the faces overly quickly

The faces have ripped at the bottom section of the face, from the nock gap & curving towards the front of the face (If I can find a picture, I'll post it)

Anyone suggest anything that I may be doing with my fingers etc or has anyone else noticed Oberon faces not lasting as long???

Bald Eagle

Please tell me you are not using super glue on the nock points which hardens like stone and wrecks tabs????? Or you could be using brass nock sets which do nearly as good a job!!!!

darthTer

Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
Please tell me you are not using super glue on the nock points which hardens like stone and wrecks tabs????? Or you could be using brass nock sets which do nearly as good a job!!!!

You'll be glad to know....I'm using neither. Centre serving is Diamondback, nock points are tied on serving material.

The top of the tap face (above the nock) looks fine, they just always seem to tear below the nock.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
I used to use Oberon but found it was lasting a whole Fita before ripping. The manufacturer recommended using soft twist for centre servings but I didn't want to change from Majesty. I now use Vulcolan (from P***is) which lasts over a year, doesn't need breaking in, doesn't mind being wet or dry and copes with super glued nocking points.

buzz lite beer

My experience with Oberon material was that it didn't require any breaking in period, BUT unless you spent a bit of time radiusing the edges of the material exposed to the string after you'd cut it to shape that it would tear, as I've become too idle to put so much effort into doing such unnecessary chores. now just use it (the remaining bits I have left) as a cushion layer between Cordovan face and backing face of my AAE Elite tabs.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
I don't do anything special with Oberon, but then my "nothing special" includes rounding corners.
I expect it to last six to twelve months, depending on use...

Phil Reay

I bought some 4" squares of Corvolan (i think) from that P place. dead easy to cut and seems to last ages. still got 3 to go (only bought 4). i have metal nocks but shoot barebow so i'm nearly always 3 fingers underneath and never go further down than the split.