Getting bored outdoor

Marcus37

This week I have found my self longing to get back inside and back on the 3 spots. Although I enjoy the fresh air I have decided that the typical style of outdoor archery is quite boring.

With 3 spot shooting its more about precision and the only variable is me, and I have to heavily focus so we can hit that oftern elusive X ring. With a nice assortment of face types.

Outdoor, well with the uk weather is just far to unpredictable, the same face week after week, it's only the distance that changes when shooting a Portsmouth etc I really am not enjoying it... and omg the amount of lost shot hours due to rain.

So I have ordered some more IFAA 5 spot faces, which will give me that multiple spot shoot feeling with a X that large enough to allow for out door very ables and allowing me to shoot how I enjoy it most... but still have to deal with the rain.

In conclusion... roll on September so I can get back inside.

Mark31121

Ironman
I'm the exact opposite, far happier to shoot outside.

I'm not a huge fan of the rain as it takes so long to dry my kit out after, but the big advantage of shooting in a school is that we can move to indoors in the bad weather.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I'm the opposite. It's torment for me being indoors.

Outdoors you have different distances, unknown distances, flu-flus, target balls, sun, wind, even rain.

Whereas indoors, plink, plink, plink, walk 18m, collect and repeat.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
I hate indoors, but do find outdoors boring. This when I find out my cloutbow! Definitely to be recommended.

Marcus37

I'm the opposite. It's torment for me being indoors.

Outdoors you have different distances, unknown distances, flu-flus, target balls, sun, wind, even rain.

Whereas indoors, plink, plink, plink, walk 18m, collect and repeat.
If only it was as simple as ping ping ping walk.

When I first went outside I did enjoy it as it was a new experience as I only started archery in October, but I knew from the first day I started shooting 3 spot indoor that it was going to be my "thing", when I was bow shopping I had this in mind and that's why I went with a heavy mass weight 40" ATA target bow (Mathews TRG no cam) for stability, thick line cutters etc etc.

My club does not have all year round indoor facilities so I have no choice but to go outdoor, the only place local ish to me that I can shoot inside all year only has a 15 yard range.

And some pro shooters only shoot there chosen season competition, although a lot do both.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
and omg the amount of lost shot hours due to rain.
I'm ignoring all the rest, because anyone who'd rather shoot indoors than outside... well!! However, why are you losing shooting hours to rain?? You own waterproofs don't you?? If you were at a tournament and it started to rain would you pack up and go home??

Yes, I am one of those people who will go down the field in the rain and still shoot!! :D it's only water!

Last edited:

Marcus37

I'm ignoring all the rest, because anyone who'd rather shoot indoors than outside... well!! However, why are you losing shooting hours to rain?? You own waterproofs don't you?? If you were at a tournament and it started to rain would you pack up and go home??

Yes, I am one of those people who will go down the field in the rain and still shoot!! :D it's only water!
Oh yes I have my hiking gear but that's hardly the point, I shoot with my dad who is a full leg amputated wheelchair user, and has a respiratory condition that makes him prone to chest infections and worse, as we have no club house to retreat to so rain stops play.

I would not enter a out door tournament as my preference is indoor.

ben tarrow

Oh yes I have my hiking gear but that's hardly the point, I shoot with my dad who is a full leg amputated wheelchair user, and has a respiratory condition that makes him prone to chest infections and worse, as we have no club house to retreat to so rain stops play.

Be honest, indoors is easier and you're just not very good at the outdoor stuff. You can't cope with stuff like the wind that your competitors and peers are/have learned to cope with

- - - Updated - - -

Be honest, indoors is easier and you're just not very good at the outdoor stuff. You can't cope with stuff like the wind that your competitors and peers are/have learned to cope with

Marcus37

- - - Updated - - -

My skill in either in door or out is not the point, its purely a preference, much like bow type etc.

I admit I am better at indoor, as I am well practiced as it's were i started.

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
I much prefer outdoors; longer ranges, fresh air, more variety despite a few lost arrows.
But we did shoot in heavy rain recently and it was pretty miserable; cold, wet and it trashed our arrows; multiple lost fletchings. I'm a very outdoors person and have good kit but decent waterproofs (except boots/shoes) and archery don't really go together.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
We all do archery because we want to. What bow style and what venue( indoors or out) is down to the individual. I don't think there is any point in wanting to change someone's preference. Specially if they have tried other options and have made their choice already.

Marcus37

We all do archery because we want to. What bow style and what venue( indoors or out) is down to the individual. I don't think there is any point in wanting to change someone's preference. Specially if they have tried other options and have made their choice already.
It's not so much a choice, it's just my thing.
indoor shooting takes a different skill set, and can be just as hard as outdoor. May me harder when shooting the tiny danage Faces that look like a Vegas 3 spot but smaller, and even the standard Fita 3 spot is challenging to hit 10s consistently.

I do think part of the reason I don't enjoy outdoor, is that I have a bow that's best suited for indoor, its long heavy and very stable, and you really only see the pros shooting bows like my TRG inside (with exceptions), a lot go down to shorter lighter (mass weight) set ups outdoor. For example a TRX inside and a Halon X comp outdoor. I will be buying a lighter snappy bow, may be even a Halon x for next outdoor (as I'm a Mathews fan boy) and I will see next year if I enjoy it more.

Yew Selfbow

Marcus ...
if it puts a smile on your face then go with it .... archery can be all things to all men ( and ladies):cheerful:

Marcus37

Well I'm shooting this afternoon, I'll set up at 20 yards and pop up my IFAA 5 spot after the required sight tuning and see how it goes, it's not indoor but it's close enough for just spot practice.

Marcus37

Ok so I'm just home, really enjoyed it tonight, started on a 30cm single face and tuned my sights until they all was good with nice groups. Trying the 5 spot was interesting, it's actually quite a challenge with that face even though it is at 20 yards as I have to remember to bend and swing at the hips rather than with my bow arm.

Plus my wife had her beginning lesson tonight, as I'm already a member she got a one to one for free rather than waiting for the corse to come around, and she's hooked and currently looking at Merlins starter kits although she has been loaned a bow and kit by the club long term, she wants her own..... I bet she buys a pink one XD