Is Compound real Archery..?

StevoNilo

Hi,

Just wanted to throw it out there. I know it could be a delicate subject and I guess it may of been discussed before.

I must stress I have nothing against the Compound world. In hunting situations I guess they are much more practical. They are compact and have flat trajectories. Any bow with at least 40lbs can kill almost anything that casts a shadow within 30m.

I also understand that many compound shooters are tremendously over bowed. It is a sport that has very macho overtones and lots of barbed wire tattoos!! :)

Compound archers enjoy a huge ergonomic advantage. Basically you pull a trigger to fire the arrow, but I see that for people who cannot shoot more traditionally for one reason or another its a great thing.

For me.. I have always been a recurve shooter. There is something about imparting ALL the energy yourself that sends off the arrow. You really feel part of the shot when you carry the whole load across your back. Anything less than that then it feels very empty and that I am no longer an active part of the shot.

Thoughts anyone??

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
I shot my last county field champs with two longbow ladies who would have questioned your recurve as being "real archery"... they certainly didn't look impressed when I answered their rhetorical question of "what is the purpose of archery anyway?" with, 'hitting the target?' :laughing:

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
There is something about imparting ALL the energy yourself that sends off the arrow. You really feel part of the shot when you carry the whole load across your back. Anything less than that then it feels very empty and that I am no longer an active part of the shot.

When you draw a compound you have put all the energy into the bow. More in fact than most recurves. It's just engineered to make you do the most work when it matters least.
And when you consider it is possible to make a recurve do exactly that - drop off the holding weight when coming into anchor, it's not so far away.

I've shot ELB, flatbow, recurve and compound. I'm a recurve archer because that's what I enjoy.

It's time all the snobbery over who is shooting a *real* bow stopped. That's all it is; snobbery.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
IF the compound had been invented first( I know that doesn't sound likely but ignore that for now) would the longbow or recurve have caught on when they were invented."So much easier to make", I see in the adverts. No cams to get dirty and no need for extra cables etc etc .
All, true.... but who wants to shoot a bow that gets stiffer as you draw, when you can have one that gets lighter??
At the end of the day, though, none of that matters. If someone thinks compound shooting is not real archery, they will come up with some reason or other. Likewise, anyone who thinks compound shooting is real archery, can equally come up with reasons.
There is something about imparting ALL the energy yourself that sends off the arrow. You really feel part of the shot when you carry the whole load across your back. Anything less than that then it feels very empty and that I am no longer an active part of the shot
This seems like a good reason for shooting a bow as opposed to a gun. The gun does separate you from the energy required to propel the missile.
But when I shoot my compound, I do not feel I have become a rifle shooter. I pull hard to get over the peak weight and work to stay at full draw, despite that load being light. When the shot goes off I go with it in a follow through that is very similar to that of a recurve archer.
I don't think the idea stands up very well to the reality of compound archery.
It is possible to shoot a compound almost as if it is a crossbow/rifle. You get to full draw and aim and don't seem involved in drawing any longer. I have shot like that and it feels very soft and cosy almost. But shooting that way robbed me of that final sense of exhilaration at the release. That feeling is something I don't want to give up; it is part of what keeps me shooting.

Mistake

Ironman
I've seen you shoot, not sure I'd call that archery [emoji13], not at 35m anyway.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Tapatalk
Oh come on.

I thought you had said you wouldn't bother with the low hanging fruit..... although it did make me chuckle

ben tarrow

When I started archery, there were no compounds. I remember the first compounds turning up at a local shoot and the organisers didnt know what to do with them. Strangely at that time, longbows were almost unheard of either. Everyone shot recurve, with a technique which is known as "sky drawing" and is banned in most civilized countries today.
At the end of the day, apart from opening cans of worms, unless you are a world or national governing body, what does it matter to you HOW another archer enjoys their sport? You're not in direct competition with them

Misogyny (hatred of women) is big in the news at the moment, mostly for all the wrong reasons.
Perhaps we should make "toxogyny" (hatred of archers) a crime too

Valkamai

Oh come on.

I thought you had said you wouldn't bother with the low hanging fruit..... although it did make me chuckle
Sorry, a moment of weakness.....

And I've been playing shadow of the colossus so I've gotten used to aiming at low hanging fruit.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Tapatalk

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Oxogyny is a hatred of beef stock cubes. Misterogyny is hatred of men. Yewogyny is hatred of longbow woods. Seehenseaogyny is hatred of machines that make compounds. Polygny is hatred of parrots or married persons; never could remember which. Bcygny is hatred of making bow strings.
Monochronygny is hatred of black and white tv's. Slomogyny is hatred of high speed video.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
I'm sure there are some who would say it's not real archery, unless you carved out your kit from lumps of wood... (<cough> Del ).
The problem lies in the word "real". I don't think anyone would deny that compound is archery. Kind of like the old question: "... But is it art?"

D

Deleted member 7654

I'm sure there are some who would say it's not real archery, unless you carved out your kit from lumps of wood... (<cough> Del ).
The problem lies in the word "real". I don't think anyone would deny that compound is archery. Kind of like the old question: "... But is it art?"
I resemble that remark!...
But I was careful to ignore the original post as I feel it is disingenuous and excrement stirring for the sake of it.
We don't actually need this sort of thing which merely encourages trolls.
Nuff said...
Del

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Course it is..... Artchery.... it's in its name. The T was dropped only to save time when writing it down.
I was going to mangle a more anatomical word out of archery, but it came out sounding more obscene than I'd intended...

now no-one mention crossbows...

StevoNilo

Oxogyny is a hatred of beef stock cubes. Misterogyny is hatred of men. Yewogyny is hatred of longbow woods. Seehenseaogyny is hatred of machines that make compounds. Polygny is hatred of parrots or married persons; never could remember which. Bcygny is hatred of making bow strings.
Monochronygny is hatred of black and white tv's. Slomogyny is hatred of high speed video.
:thumbsup:

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
What about..... Zen in the ART of Archery...... and Art of Repetition.... do they count as evidence that there are some who believe?

Rog600

Why is there such a resistance to crossbow archery? (Or maybe there isn't and it is just my perception). I can see the longbow, recurve, compound development (for want of a better word) but can't see why the crossbow gets shunned/ostracised.