Pros and cons of different Sight Pins

Newalpost

Currently I'm using the sight pin that came with my SF Velocity Carbon sight. It's what I'd call the traditional sight pin in a square housing. But I see there are many different other types; Tunnels, fibre optic, cross hair, dot in the middle etc.

Would anyone care to share experience of any of these other types? FWIW I only shoot at standard competition targets.

Thxs

EVC

That is an individual choice IMO. What is good for some may not for you. So it is up to you to experiment with them and pick what works better for YOU. Some experiments are more expensive than others though. The cheapest way one can experiment with different pins is Beiter's tunnels (they come in 8 and 12mm) with several exchangeable appertures. Some accept fibers but you must bear in mind there is a rule about the fiber not being more than 20mm straight (it may be longer if it bends and stays out of sight).

There are other sight pins that accept long fibers from Arch Syst?me and Shibuya that are a little more expensive. My experience with these long fibers is not very positive though: they break easily. I gave up on them and use Beiter 12mm tunnel with an apperture with a short fiber.

Others experiences may vary so let's wait for other inputs.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I think it is important to choose a sight pin or aperture, when you are shooting and aiming with some level of understanding. I don't mean that in a smart way.
I remember when I started shooting I made a 14" extension for my sight expecting it to be more accurate!!!!
I based my idea on a misunderstanding.... and it was a failure... any slight wobble was magnified and became very distracting.
I have tried most of the apertures with different insides. BUT.... if I consider first, what I want from the sight, I have a better idea of what I need to look through, or aim with.
One of the things I am guilty of when shooting, is aiming too hard and forgetting to keep on drawing the bow. A really bright fibre optic draws attention to itself and I find it distracts me from the shot process far more than is good for my scores.
With an empty ring, I can aim without really taking so much notice of the sight. IF I can see all the gold, the ring must be round the gold not breaking through it. I can focus on making, or finishing the shot with less distraction.
Even the size of the ring can play a part. If it fits too closely round the gold, any movements cause a red crescent to appear at some point round the gold and that is distracting.A slightly larger ring, produces a red border that doesn't become so narrow on one side that it disappears causing the red crescent to suddenly pop into view at the opposite side of the gold.
I feel that learning to shoot while aiming gently is worth experiencing. Get that feeling and then try the more demanding elements from a position of control, knowing how to finish the shots strongly.

ThomVis

I believe a crosshair is illegal in WA target events, could be used as a leveling device:
Book 3 said:
11.1.5.1. It shall not incorporate a prism, lens, or any other magnifying device, levelling, electric or electronic devices nor shall
it provide for more than one sighting point.
Heard someone say vertical/horizontal crosshair were banned, diagonal were okay, but can't confirm or deny.

Corax67

I've played about with a wide variety of sight pins in search of what I felt was best for me. Imbalance with the standard Sibuya pin in my Dual Click and of course there is nothing really wrong with it straight out of the box.

Shooting indoors I found I lost the dot almost immediately and struggled so I invested in a Shibuya fibre optic pin - what can I say, it is a superb piece of kit for me for indoor & I haven't found the fibres particularly delicate despite what a lot of people say. I cannot use it outdoors though as it is genuinely way too bright.

Back to my outdoors and tried a basic Cartel, two sizes of Beiter with a stack of inserts and even a Titan. All of them had their pluses and minuses but on the suggestion of a fellow club member I put my Shibuya original back in without the red dot insert, just shooting a black circle and it works brilliantly for my 100yd & 80yd targets since the boss fits neatly inside the ring.

Try as many as you can borrow or afford to buy and hopefully you shouldn't take too long to settle on something that works for you.

Karl

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
I believe a crosshair is illegal in WA target events, could be used as a leveling device:

Heard someone say vertical/horizontal crosshair were banned, diagonal were okay, but can't confirm or deny.
That would surely ban anything except a floating pin in a glass screen...? Even diagonals could be used for levelling.

Newalpost

Thanks everyone....

Of course it goes without really saying that personal preferences will be different otherwise we'd all use the same.

I think I'm finding the pin sight a little distracting in the sense that my eye seems to alternate between the pin and the target. This leads me to think that a ring sight might be a better choice but as someone said 'you really need to plug an play' and see what works best.

I have a friend who's just got a fibre optic sight for his Shibuya and so far he's not convinced it's any better than his original pin sight. I'll try and get him to let me take a look at it.

Thxs again

Mufti

Agreed, anything that obscures what I am aiming at is a distraction.
Also consider a large open ring to aim with rather than a small one, your brain/eyes will sort it out for you and aiming might become secondary to shot execution.